Setting Posts

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Hi All and Thanks in advance.
Connected to my home was a metal roof supported by three 6x6 wood posts. The metal roof blew off in a storm. The wood structure is in good shape and I'm going to thrown a sun canopy over the wood structure.
The problem is one of the 6x6 posts fell down. They are set into a concrete patio, in a 1.5 inch hole. They have "L" shaped connectors the connect the posts to the concrete. These 6x6 posts are heavy and yesterday I get it into the hole, connected to the "L" shaped connectors and wouldn't you know the post wasn't level. So I take it down. Did I fail to mention, these posts are HEAVY.
How important is it that the posts are level? The 3 posts are all connected at the top by a 2x10 fascia board and various 2x4's that use to support the old metal roof. Since I replacing a section of the 2x10 fascia board, is it critical the new post be level or when I place the sun canopy can I adjust the top of the post to support and make the canopy level? Also, since the one post was down, I bought theses 2 x 12 x 1/4 inch heavy metal straps. The top of the "L" shaped connector only connects to the bottom 3 inches of the post. With these heavy metal straps, the bottom 12 inches of the post are connected and supported. Could these metal straps be causing the post to be off level?
Thanks.
Greg

Can you post a few pictures? I'm having a hard time visualizing what you have.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Yes, pictures showing the existing and added metal ties and especially the 1 1/2" hole. The top should be no problem as you can attach the top of the post where ever it needs to be on the 2x10, assuming it is mounted to the side of the header. However you end up fixing this, the posts should be plumb/level.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mark440

When I first bought my place, it had a metal awning spanning 24 ft x 15 ft. Yes, they attached it directly to the top edge of the house with at least 400 nails. But, the ding-dong who built it had no concept of physics. All of the joists were 2x4's running out 15 feet from the ledger board to the line of deck-edge posts that were 4 feet apart. In his defense, he did slap a 2x4 on each side of the post. Looked 'beefy' when new....

Today the whole thing is gone as it sagged so bad. But, even the deck began to sag in places. The posts were a whopping 8-10 inches in the ground. All the underpinnings ran the wrong way. Every piece of lumber is undersized except the perimeter joists. And, to top it off - he did it all with drywall screws. (I will refrain from sharing my extensive Navy vocabulary....)

The old cliche about chains and weak links applies here. I think I would consider an overhaul instead of a re-work.
Opportunity has a shelf life.