How difficult to remove a garden tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mickeyb

I would like to remove the large garden tub, for me it is nothing but a waste of space in my small mobile home. I would like to turn the area into storage space with free standing shelves. Just how difficult a job is this? What all would be involved? I would hire a plumber to shut off the pipes, but I would like to get the tub out myself. I am female, NOT handy but I know how to swing a sledgehammer! :D
Greg

The easiest way to remove it would be with a sawsall, just cut it in half or smaller and take it out.
I will tell you up front that being a female really does not mean much here, we don't discriminate.
There are plenty of women here that have done a LOT of work on their homes, Like anything you are not born an expert it is something you have to learn and try. There are plenty of people here to help with support.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mickeyb

Okay will give it a shot in a few weeks and let you know how I made out. Well this female doesnt have much experience in construction or should I say DEstruction, but I am always willing to try. I am wondering tho..what is holding the tub down? If I just start cutting it, it will come loose?
Sorry I didnt respond sooner, I thought I got emails when there was a reply.
Greg

Many are held in with screws at the top of the tub at the wall where the surround overlaps. If you have a removable front panel there may be screws into the floor also. Since you are doing remodel work you really don't need to worry too much, just rip & tear.

Greg
Mark440

You may also need to fire up the saws-all and cut the drain loose. If there are removable side panels, you may be able to access the drain right below the tub and cut it. If all else fails, use a short blade - even a jig saw - and just cut around the drain from the topside.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

[quote="mickeyb I am female, NOT handy but I know how to swing a sledgehammer! :D[/quote]

I DO have to laugh at the "Improvement" shows when they just go in and smash everything with hammers, They make 4 times the mess pulling things apart and in the end the job just takes longer!!

Greg
Xplorer400

Thanks for the great idea. Moving from a 2400 sq foot house to a 14x76 is a tough move. We weren't planning to use that tub and taking it out would give use more storage area in a very large bathroom. I hope it works out well for you.