cleaning carpet

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

momof8

What is the best way to clean carpet in a mobile home? If there is particle board underneath I would think shampooing would be out.
We can't afford to replace the carpet at first and there have been pets (dogs and cats) in the home before us.
LilJack

If the dogs urinated on the carpet chances are highly likely it is in the mat and flooring. I would start with a dry carpet cleaner made for cats and dogs then spary febreeze on the carpet afterwards and vacuum again.
Yanita

Hi,

If you have a home shampooer than use as little water as possible and make sure to go over the carpet several times to remove as much water as possible.

Try to clean on a day when you can have your windows open and a fan running to help dry the carpet as soon as possible.

When dealing with pet accidents I really like a product called Natures Miracle. It can be purchased at most quality pet stores.

Although Febreeze and other similar products smell good, they do nothing to actually clean the spot. Also Febreeze is kind of sticky when used frequently, and therefore traffic patterns get dirtier quicker.

To find the offending pet areas, wait until dusk, just a fluorescent black light. Move slowly across the floor and the bottoms of the walls. Any pet stains will glow yellow. Treat with Natures Miracle according to package instructions.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Archie

Of course this is just my opinion and based on no sientific data, but personally I don't think any of the carpet shampooer's that are store bought do a very good job. Since I only clean my carpets once a year I go to the store and rent a Rug Doctor. I think it cleans better, drys the floor better, and is pretty easy to use.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Yanita

Archie,

Personally I feel you are right, but there are a couple of them out there that don't do to bad. Like I said in my post, if you are using a personal shampooer then make sure to go over them a couple times to remove excess water.

~Yanita~
Mark
Site Admin

We have a store-bought shampooer that I don't think works too bad. Seems to pick up the water quite well too. It has a rotating brush on it, so that helps. Didn't cost that much either. We try to go over our carpets a couple times a year with it. It also works pretty good on the upholstery.

Even at that, once every few years we'll hire a carpet cleaning service to come in and do everything up.

As long as your not totally soaking your carpets, a shampooer should be fine for a mobile home. Just get the windows open and fans running right away.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
momof8

thanks for all of the help, I love this site.
Yanita

Your welcome...glad you enjoy being here!

Remember the key to cleaning your carpets and not damaging any sub floor is to remove as much water as possible and have good air circulation for it to dry quickly.

~Yanita~