Flooring questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

stillworking

If one uses the tongue and groove 3/4" plywood, do you still screw it down to the joists? If it is smooth on one side, if you put that side up, do you still need to put down the 1/4" plywood before putting down vinyl? Thanks.
Yanita

Hi Stillworking,

Short answers...Yes and yes.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

Peel-n-stick - If you are talking about peel-n-stick such as Novalis then yes the instructions read to use an underlayment.

Sheet vinyl - If you are talking about sheet vinyl the manufacturers instructions say you may use that stapler you are considering. Sheet vinyl can be installed by stapling around the perimeter and hiding the staples. No adhesive needed so no underlayment is needed. Use a floor patch to smooth any problems such as the plywood seams. This is how lots of MH manufacturers do it.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
stillworking

Thanks very much for your answers. I plan to put down a decent quality sheet vinyl (already made the mistake once of putting down poor quality). The kitchen, dining, laundry is a fairly large area, and I plan to have a floor guy do the installation. I can handle buying it once because I really need it, but buying it twice because I messed it up would just be too painful!