1973 Mobile home purchase?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

katienpdx

Hi everyone. I am brand new to the forums and need some advice. My partner and I are live in Oregon where land is quite expensive. We have been apartment living for 10 years and finally a land home package has come available in our price range. The mobile home that's on the land happens to be a 1973-1976 "Signature Mark I" double wide. :?:

The place and the land have a lot of potential but it definitely needs to be remodeled! :shock:
Does anyone have any advice for mobile homes that are 30 plus years old? Is this a smart move or are there obvious issues to watch out for?

I have attached pics so that you guys will have an idea of what we are entertaining.

Thank you in advance!

Cathy aka Katienpdx

ImageImage
mokehillannie

I don't have any advice because I'm new too and did the same as you. We purchased an old mobile in Arizona. It looks like it needs a lot more than yours does to make it a home, but we got a killer deal on it and couldn't pass it up.

Yours looks really nice. Good luck and enjoy.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Although at first glance of your photos the home seems to be well taken care of thru the years. Myself and others here own mobile homes about the same age as yours, we recently purchased ours a year ago.

On the main page of the repair forum in the stickies is an article called "Purchasing a Used Mobile Home". Read thru it and heed the advice given. The article is not in lieu of a professional inspection.

Also on site we have a Repair Manuel specifically for Manufactured/Mobile Homes, as you read thru the site you will see many great reviews about it, this can be purchased in the books/parts link.

Look forward to your future questions and contributions to the site.

There are alot of great folks here that will help you along the way as well.

Yanita

Oh, forgot to say that I like the layout of your home.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. As Yanita said, Mark's book is a must. I agree it looks to well kept. Any remodeling should be started with checking to be sure the home is level. This is done with a water level on the frame. Check the floors for any soft spots, and look close at the roof for cracks, or rust. these are the two most common problem areas. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."