Pex lines and heat tapes

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

altasnowman

Good day everyone, just had my neighbor ask me if he could use Pex line in place of copper for main line into home and would he need to put a heat tape on it. i told him i was not sure but i would check with others. would appreciate all input to this question.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
JD
Site Admin

Technically, PEx is not supposed to be exposed at all. It is better to use rigid pipe to get up under the home, then 3/4" to the water heater.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Harry

Hi

Here's a link to the Zurn Pex Application Guide:

http://www.zurn.com/operations/pexrh/pd ... lGuide.pdf

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
gillard

Hey

Pex is not approved for underground service how ever you can use black poly water line which is approved for underground service. And beside it would cost a lot more to do this job in pex. The poly water line is available in 100 psi and 160 psi I would recommend getting the 160 psi for the extra 10 bucks. We install this everyday and for all new homes due to the price of copper. after you water meter you can pex the rest of the mobile home and you would not have to put any heat tape on the main line. depends on your area but where I am from its 4 feet under for frost clearing. here is a link of the pipe.
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-29 ... 32492.aspx
busybee1952

Are you out in the country or in a park? I'm out in the country and have an above-ground wellhouse located 75' from the trailer which sits on a full cement slab. The pipes froze where they come out of the cement about 4" down and in the wellhouse, they froze about 2' up from where they come out of the cement in there. When I replaced them, I used pvc coming out of the ground and put heat tapes on them and then went with pex the rest of the way. The underground pipes here are 6' down rather than 4'. Lord help me if I ever have to dig them up for anything.
altasnowman

Thanks everyone for the input, Busybee we live in a park, guess i can tell neighbor that pex can not be used as main line. already know what my neighbors next question is going to be and I was so looking forward to an easy summer. guess I'll have to go back to work again.LOL
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......