Bathroom Vent

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JimCNY

I want to change the vent in the bathroom. I suspect the damper is not closing tightly. Can I get one anywhere or do I have to get it at a mobile home parts store? Also want to change the fan in the bath to a less noisy one.Image
JimCNY

Thanks Jim for the quick reply but I really want to avoid buying mobile home replacement parts. I would rather go to HD or Lowe's.
Greg

Jim, with enough planning you can make any vent work. I would say that your's has seen better days. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Sure, you can use something from the home stores. It does not have to be a mobile home exhaust fan. I installed one of these for a customer. Really nice looking.

Hunter® Saturn Bath Fan with a Nickel finish, Lowe's Item #: 200364, Model: 90053, $88

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

JD,
That is a cool looking fixture. How difficult is it to install it in a MH that has no bathroom venting? Could I run a flexible vent line and exhaust it from a soffit? For some odd reason, my MH has no bathroom exhaust fan.
JD
Site Admin

Hi Wayne,

I think the instructions say no more than 4' horizontal. I remember that it said something about it. But I installed this one through the roof. Having a hole in the roof sure made it easier to attach it to the trusses. That is where you need to be a bit creative if you have 1x2 or 2x2 trusses. The home I installed it on had 1x2 trusses so I added extra webbing to the truss in that area and built up the bottom cord of the truss to fit the hanger of the fan.

JimCNY - Installing a new roof jack can be tricky on your roof. I see a cracked shingle and the others look like the edges are worn a bit. These shingles may be at half life or a little less. You will need to be careful when prying shingles up so that you do not damage the shingles in the next course. Your shingles don't look too bad for this repair, but there is a point where shingles get old and fragile enough that I won't disturb them. Installing ceiling fans with new roof jacks when installing a new roof is the best way to go.

Installing a roof jack to a standard mobile home rolled metal roof is a snap, provided the metal is in good shape.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
JimCNY

JD I forgot to mention in my original post that I was having the roof done. What is the approximate cost of the part of the vent that's on the roof? And what is it called?
Jim from Canada

The vent outlet that goes on the roof can be found at any lumber store cheap! Get it the same time you pick up the fan. When I did mine I was doing roof/ceiling repairs so everything was open. I added a piece of 2x6 to my roof truss for mounting the fan. Get the highest CFM fan you can find.

Jim
JimCNY

Thanks for all the replies. I will post pictures when I'm done.