Moving my home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bertalfie

I have a fairmount happy house 1983 that I bought new and set up in a park by the manufacture. I have taken very good care of it and it is in great shape. Now the EPA has come in and says they need to move us all to another location because of bad soil, I have major concerns about moving an older home like mine and what it might cause by doing so. They also said we need not remove the furnishner, etc. from the home. I have talked with a few people that feel we are in for damages and major problems down the road because of this forced move. Do yoi have any info. about moving older homes, damages that might occur and things I need to know.
Thank you all so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
JD
Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum,

If this home was only set up once when set where it is now, you should be fine. When a home is set, they will draw the marriage beam together with lag bolts from the roof. Sometimes small gaps are stubborn and the crew will use multiple lags in an area to pull it together. Provided they did not strip lags out in the process, there is usually no harm. This can be a problem when homes have been set up multiple times.

If the home has not had plumbing or roof leaks, then structurally, it should be OK for the move. Usually the furniture will be left in the home for the move. They will often throw in awnings, steps and other accessories too.

I would want the home mover to move all furniture, secure cabinet doors and appliances so they would be responsible for their condition when arriving at the new location.

Be sure both the set-up crew and the truck guy(s) are licensed, bonded AND insured. While homes are moved every day without problems, a worst case scenario could easily be more than these contractors are worth or willing to pay for. Insurance from both contractors protects both you and the contractors. You should even ask for "Proof of Insurance", which is basically a letter printed upon request, from the insurance company. Then call the insurance company to verify the letter.

JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
altasnowman

Hi,
As a retired home mover this is what you will have to do if you want your furniture moved with the home:
-shut off hot water tank and drain, flush toilet and hold flapper open to drain as much as possible place toilet tank lid on an area that it will not slide on
- Remove any and all glassware and heavy objects from upper cupboards, place in boxes in center of room
- any heavy furniture must be secured from moving, sofas turn upside down on a carpeted area, chairs lay on sides, tables try to place them upside down between heavy furniture
- Any fragile items pack and take yourself
- Remove pictures from walls
- washer,dryer,stove,fridge must be secured in place and be empty, remove all racks from fridge and stove and place them on a carpeted area
-Bedrooms ensure all dressers are laid on floor on their backs with drawers removed,any clothes that are hanging must be placed on floor
- any cleaning liquids must be removed from cupboards and placed in boxes and secured from moving
-beds must be secured so they do not move
-IF YOU HAVE SIDEWALK BLOCKS DO NOT PUT THEM INTO HOME BUT TALK TO TRANSPORT COMPANY AND LET THEM KNOW THAT YOU HAVE THIS TYPE OF ITEM SO THEY CAN ARRANGE TO TRANSPORT THEM AS WELL AS OTHER OUTSIDE ITEMS.
_
BASICALLY ANY ITEMS THAT YOU REALLY CHERISH DO NOT LEAVE THEM IN HOME, EITHER TAKE THEM WITH YOU OR ARRANGE SEPARATE TRANSPORTATION FOR THOSE TYPES OF ITEMS.

I don't want you to think i am yelling or anything like that but i did one home and hot water tank,toilet had not been drained, 27 sidewalk blocks in back bedroom and NO KEYS from customer. other things like cupboards not emptied resulted in approximately $14000 in damages to contents and home plus bent 9 axles for a 400 mile trip and at $150 per axle =$1350. customer tried to blame company for damages but had in writing that customer would do all above before home was moved. This is just a reminder to cover your behinds. As far as you home being old i have moved homes that have been over 30 years old and have never had a problem. Just make sure that you let the hauler know what is inside,what you have done and lastly PLEASE give the driver the keys. Best of luck in your move.
The dirtyist word in the dictionary CANCER....it takes many too soon and leaves nothing but anger and pain. We all mourn the loss of those that have succummed to this......
bertalfie

Thank you both for your help and information. It is greatly appreciated.
Handweaving

Hi,
I have a 1988 Fairmont happy house and I love it.
Wish I had the money to move it up to Minneapolis/St.Paul, Minnesota area. Oh well.
Good luck on Your move.