bathub surround (walls)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dave

I just posted about the flooring and wall structure repair for the master bathroom. However, this is a tub with no shower. The tub surround at the moment is a very thin plywood with a wallpaper covering. It looks pre-fabricated to me.

What I am wondering is if there is some other material I can use to replace this? The issue seems to be that almost anything else I would use would end up changing the thickness, therefore not matching the rest of the bathroom. The only sections that need replacing are the tub surround.

Any recommendations? I'm trying to avoid having to order anything, as I am under a time schedule to get this job done by this weekend (it's already Tuesday afternoon). In addition, there is a window about 3' up from the lip of the tub, so I didn't think a fiberglass or vinyl surround material would work.

Thank you!
Greg

You could use a 5 pc. tub surround, depending on the exact location of the window, you would have to cut it out but it may work. The other idea woudl be a type of formica. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

I'd suggest the same products for the surround. Just make sure to seal the surround or the laminate with a real good silicone caulk around that area!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
Jim from Canada

If you are reframing the wall, the window can be eliminated or moved. Get a really good exhaust fan for the bathroom. The higher CFM, the better.

Jim