Interior Water Heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jinx

I am purchasing a 2006 Nelmstar double wide and the water heater is located in the middle of the home accessible through an access door through the master bedroom closet. I am worried about a leak. Is there something that can be put under the water heater to prevent water damage?

Also, we drain it twice a year and am concerned about the safety valve. Since it is inside we cannot open the valve to drain.
Greg

They make pans that the heaters sit in, they don't hold a lot but a slow leak will be contained. as for draining you have to add a lenght of garden hose and drain into the tub or outside if you want. You could also have the dealer install an outside drain before you take delivery. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

You can also put a leak detector in the pan, like this one available through the Books & Parts link above (under plumbing).

http://mobilehomerepair.com/waterdetect.htm

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jinx

Thanks for the info.
Greg

Question asked, question answered. Lets lock it up! Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."