Lights in Section of MH not working

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bigkid123

I turned the light switch on today and the lights went out. I checked the breakers and none of the were tripped. I also turned all the breakers off and on to see if that was an issue. I do have some things on the breaker where the lights do not work on the opposite side of my home that do work but just this section of the home do not. I checked the switches and even replaced a couple of them thinking that was the problem. I do know that there is electrical current on it because silly me touched it before I turned off the breaker. Any ideas what else I could check before I call out an electrician. It only seems to be affecting about 4 switches but they are all on the same breaker. Any help would be appreciated.
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

Seems you might have a GFCI outlet that has switched off. These are typically located in wet areas of your home, namely the bathroom sinks or the kitchen. You might/do have one outside your home. Generally near the exterior doors but quite possibly under your home as well.

Let us know if you find the problem, but just to let you know we will only give limited advice on electrical repairs. This is for your safety as well as your home, please do not take it personally.

Look forward to helping you in the future and seeing your contributions to the site. Take a moment to complete your profile and please check out all the links in the task menu above.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Mark
Site Admin

A completed profile of your home would help is in knowing more about your home (like the age, type of wiring, etc). We encourage everyone to complete the profile.

Generally when the electricity in part of your mobile home quits working, it's often a connection at an outlet. In newer homes, the wires push into the back of an outlet or switch. These wires can become loose and cause everything downline of that outlet to quit working.

In older homes, especially homes with aluminum wiring, you can develop loose connections as aluminum expands and contracts much more than copper. When this happens, you get the same result of everything downline of the loose connection not working.

Finding the loose connecting can take a bit of trial and error.

Be safe!

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
bigkid123

Thanks Yanita and Mark,

My home is a 2000 Brigadier 28x68. I checked all the outlets and they all appear to be working, I also replaced the switches today and still no luck. Any more ideas would be great but will contact an electrician tomorrow to have them come out. Do I need to contact a Mobile Home electrician or is there such a person? I have learned alot from the forums, great site.

Thanks
Daniel
Mark
Site Admin

These lights wouldn't happen to be on a 3-way switch would they? I've seen those wired wrong, so it appears that the lights don't work if one switch is toggled the wrong direction.

Maybe it's a loose wire up in the lights itself?

Any electrician should be able to help you. Electricians are usually a little bit more friendly to mobile homes than say plumbers or carpenters.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Lorne

You said, "I turned the light switch on today and the lights went out".
Sometimes the simplest answer is the right one.
Could it be burned out bulbs? Unlikely but..
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
bigkid123

Mark, the ones in the bathroom are on a 3 way switch, they have been working fine, we replaced them about 6 months ago and had no problems.
76artcraft

I'm not the most knowledgeable person (but I've never been electrocuted :D -not making fun of u just proud of self ) here but the light on my ceiling fan went out (Yes I tried changing the bulb), the fan still worked. I just had to replace the part that held the light bulb(same thing as the light fixture) and it worked fine.

It was my light switch that caused it, because it wiggled a bit(not supposed to wiggle that way)...Thought maybe it caused a "surge" or something that made the light fixture burn out.
(yes I replaced the switch right away)

I don't have a GFCI on that electrical "line" yet, I wonder if I had it would have prevented this.

Just wondering if something like that could have happened to yours, but to more than one light.