Hunter non programmable thermostat problem

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

homebuff

:roll: A very sleepy morning Robert.
My HAVC friend didn't show up yesterday.
The furnace woke me & my wife up this early morning & kept us awake & I told her to go turn the thermostat down so it would go off & she did.
The next thing I know it kept going off & on continously so I had to get up to investigate so I listened to the burner & it was still burning.
I went to turn it down myself & heard the thermostat click telling me the furnace had to have gone out so I went to see & it did go out.
Problem fixed? NO! the flame was off but it kept cycling on & off & woulld not stop.
My next step I need you to tell me is do I go ahead & check the VAC at the gas valve like you told me to do in your recent post or what?
What do I need to do next since the blower will not turn off & quit cycling.
I know there suppost to cycle a bit to cool down the chamber once the burner goes out but it won't go off.
It's driving us nuts!!!
Must be the limit switch? :x
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Robert

Hi David,

First, the heat exchanger is no longer available anywhere. Yes, test at gas valve for 24vac IF the burner is lit when it should not be, ie:temp in home is at or above t-stat setting.

IF the home temp is at least same as t-stat setting or 1 degree or more above, then the furnace should be off.

Be sure the heat anticipator is set correctly. Should be a setting shown in homeowners book or look on the gas valve for the setting. May be on nameplate as well.

With that setting correct and temp in home met, if furnace is running, see if you have 24vac at gas valve.

The only way a limit would play into it is IF the furnace were overheating, limit trips, unit cools, limit resets and furnace comes back on.

However, that would have no bearing on it starting up and coming on by itself.

In order for burner to light, it must get gas from gas valve. In order for that to happen, gas valve has to be energized with 24vac.

Locate where that 24vac is coming from and problem will be solved.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
homebuff

Thank's Robert! I'll give it a shot. I was reading on Swheele's post Furnace clicking on & off (alot) where he was having the same problem with his & tried the blue & black wire jumper test & when I jumped mine & the unit burner & fan would not turn on.
His unit is pretty close to being like mine with the MGH # Intertherm gas unit.
I took the 6262920 factory 2 switch design out of my unit & it was covered with dust & on the main plate where it bolts to the chamber as well & cleaned it.
I'm going to put it all back together & see what it does & check the 24VAC you requested me to check.
Thank's i'll get back soon.
I am a certified ford diesel tech, "Retired Now" Ford Parts Department counter man, computer consultant, repairman & programmer
Robert

Hi David,

His was just the blower coming on/off, not blower and burner.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
homebuff

:) Robert!
The Hunter digital thermostat is defective.
The way I found out was when I reconnected the RH WH wires back on the Hunter the unit starting up again cycling on & off continuosly even with the burner going.
Did the same with the burner off.
Kept the 2 thermostats connected for now till I can get another one.
Leaving the Hunter one turned off.
No more Hunter's for me.
HoneyWell all the way.
Thank's again for your support.
David.
Happy Holiday's to all you & your staff & families.

I will not be bugging you anymore.
Hope everything is ok with your family.
God Bless!
Robert

Hi David,

You're very welcome, happy to help. Hunter makes a great ceiling fan, I'll leave it at that !!

Merry Christmas to you and your family !!

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
homebuff

Take care & don't eat too much on the Holiday's.
I already have a Hunter Fan in our living room & still going strong.
Runs continuosly.
One last question.
The Hunter thermostat is on the outside wall against the furnace wall.
It is a inside wall to the house & not a outside wall.
There is a small size hole where the wires go through.
I can put my pinky through it.
Should I plug that hole to keep any air from enterinmg inside the thermostat or leave it be?
Thank's
David
Robert

Hi David,

Seal around the wires with something soft that won't crimp the wires.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
homebuff

:? Well Robert, i'm exhausted of all measures.
the darn thing is still acting up cycling on & off after running a while.
The burner comes on when I turn the thermostat up & goes off when I turn it down.
The fan comes on after a bit when the chamber heats up & goes off after abit when it cools down & that's when it starts cycling on & off.
Won't stop the cycling till I lower the thermostat setting.
WIERD!!!
The unit must be worn out.
It's ashame since I've spent so much money putting in a new motor & new a-coil last summer.
Oh! & a new outside unit too. :cry:
I guess i'll wait to see if my HAVC friend, if he still a friend will show up before I go back to work on Thursday from my vacation. One more day to go but a short week for me before the weekend again.
Can''t seem to get ahold of my Stepson. He's always out on commercial jobs.
Can you believe it?
He doesn't even have a cell phone doing the job he does.
I'm going to bed now & hope it doesn't keep me up all night cycling off & on.
Got to have some heat though.
At least it heats up & blows out luke warm air.
Electric bill is going to be high I guess.
Have a great one Robert.
Robert

Hi David,

Is it just the blower cycling on and off or the blower and burner ?

Put a meter on the gas valve and watch it. As the unit cycles on and off, do you read 24vac on and off at gas valve concurrent with the cycling ?

Thanks,
Robert
homebuff

Robert wrote:Hi David,

Is it just the blower cycling on and off or the blower and burner ?

Put a meter on the gas valve and watch it. As the unit cycles on and off, do you read 24vac on and off at gas valve concurrent with the cycling ?

Thanks,
Robert
HI Robert Gosh I hate to keep bothering you about this darn unit but the burner stay's lit but the fan will continously keep recycling & eventually stops.
It's almost like it the flame sensor if it has one is not reading the flame & the fan circuit just takes over from there.
I guess I explaned that, where it makes since.
The reason I know that is I would open the burner door since it doesn't have a site glass which I wished it did so I wouldn't disturb the draft cause I know that could make a differance.
The flame seems to be a mixture of yellow & blue flame.
I keep thinking back to maybe it has a small leak in the exchanger distubing the air inside & throwing off the readings.
It's like the unit is all out of wack.
I'm going to call my friend & my Stepson today & see if one of them can come out & check it out.
I'm exhausted of all measures on this contraption.
You were talking about touching the two leads to the gas valve & reading the VAC.
Are you meaning if I don't have a flame when it's cycling?
It tends to cycle even when the thermostat is turned down where the flame is suppost to be out (which it is) like turning it down below 1 degree or up 1degree.
The thermostat can control the burner on & off.
It's just the fan circuit i'm concerned about.
It seems to be ok for a while not cycling but after a while it starts it's thing cycling all over again.
The two sensor's or switches that I cleaned are what?
What is their duties & what are they suppost to do?
Where is the flame sensor located?
I'm convinced the gas valve circuit is fine.
I have the system hooked up to the old Intertherm thermostat for now.
Remember I told you when I connected back up the digital it stated acting up immeditely.
That's what it does.
The old thermostat does not do that.
That's why I was concerned about the hole in the wall where the thermostat wires go.
I'll keep using your assistance & maybe we'll get this thing figured out soon.
Thank's! And I am truly sorry to keep bothering you.
You are a king!!
Oh! your picture on here i'll bet is when you were a little younger since i've been here since 2007.
Why not put a newer one on here.
If I had the $20.00 to spare I would just have you walk me through the testing & have my laptop near the furnace.
May have to do that if it gets too out of hand.
Today is the last time I will be able to spend till I go back to work tommorrow from my vacation.

Thank's again!
David
Robert

Hi David,

One switch is fan switch, cuts on blower at certain temp and shuts blower off at certain temp.

Other is a limit that opens circuit to gas valve if overheating occurs.

Have you ever tried to set your furnace switch to fan ON Continuous ?

That would keep blower on at all times even during off cycle of burner and would not use the fan switch.

See if that works.

The main burner orifice is in a spud that connects to back of gas valve. Your burner seems to work fine and you can't judge the yellow in flame IF you had door off at the time.

Picture is about 3 or 4 years old, can't remember. Not much different today except few less pounds and a few more gray hairs.

Am 50 now, was about 46 or 47 there.

Thanks,
Robert
homebuff

I'll check the fan switch trick but I do believe it stays on cause it works on both settings coming on.
Didn't leave the switch on fan for very long though just checking the circuit.
I've got 10 years on you.but feel like & move around like an 80 year old.
Will feel better once I retire soon from my Ford diesel job.
Have a great Holiday. :wink:
David
Robert

Hi David,

You're 10 years older, but you feel and move around 10 years younger than I do. :wink:

Put it on fan on continuous and see if the fan ever cycles on and off or does it stay on.

Thanks,
Robert
homebuff

Thank's again Robert.
It just so happens my Wife (The hounder The complainer thats all she did the whole time I was off on vacation), just told me this morning cause she gets up alot in the middle of the night from her Fibro from hurting, the furnace seemed to be working pretty good & not cycling alot.
I believe I read something here when you fix something on the furnace like me cleaning that gooey sticky dust of the switches you have to let it run awhile to let it stabilize.
I guess that would be what ever your repairing or replacing.
I havn't replaced anything just cleaned. I sleep too hard (like a rock) at night so I couldn't tell what it was doing.
It will be good to get back to work today so I can get away from my wife.
Now i'm going to take a short vacation from her.
Thanks for you tips. :wink:
David