New Gutter Installation Problem Need Help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

DaleM

It's not hopeless. I like Greg's idea of the flashing. Also think you need more screws and gutter supports. Not sure where you live but in Chicago the first snow would drop that gutter in a heartbeat. I think you need to run more screws into the side of the gutter that is against the home. That will hold it up. Then remove the gutter support brackets allowing you to drop the new flashing into the gutter by at least 2". Slip the new flashing up under the old gutter metal and down into the gutter. Install more gutter supports at least every 3 feet and run those screws through the supports and through the new flashing. That will keep everything tight and in place for the long haul. Finish up with some white elastomeric roof coat to seal all the screws and you're good to go.
AmyH

Thanks Dale. I do feel like its hopeless and I must say my anxiety and blood pressure is going through the roof. LOL. The contractor didnt come out today like they said. Said would be back out on Saturday. We are expecting rain on Friday. I got very upset about this and called the contractor back and let him know about it. Unfortunalety, I regret getting upset and crying on the phone when talking to him. His response was if it leaks I will fix it. Im thinking yeah like the first time it leaked and left rings on my ceiling and there way of fixing it was with kiltz paint to hide it. While inside my roof I could be growing mold and have wet insulation etc. More rain on Friday 09/26/2012. I expect more damage. Then contractor says I dont see a problem with it to begin with. He says its fine the way it is. Sigh. I bet he wouldnt feel that way if it was his home and he new it would probably be his last home and that he couldnt afford to get another one and was on fixed income like myself. He would be stressing out too.
AmyH

Found another hole and problem today. Looks like when they cut off the old gutter that they pulled off a piece of the metal and it was torn all the way up above the screws where the old gutter was attached. A big hole now is not on the side of the house but up in roofing metal. sigh. I put some metal tape on it for temporary fix until he comes back to fix it. I hope it holds as it going to rain tonight. Anybody else have such problems when installing gutters by cutting off the old ones and adding 5 inch gutters? I mean am I alone in thinking this guy just doesnt know what he is doing? Im not a construction type person but geesh.