Cutting 80" door to fit 72"

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

JeffInFL

When I replace the front door, I'll most likely get a 80x32 to replace the 72x32 and have to cut it to fit. Does it matter what material the new door is made of? I'd like to stick to the lower end of the price spectrum if possible :)

I'm planning to remove the existing door jambs so I can beef up the framing for a deadbolt (currently doesn't have one) so I can either go with a pre-hung door or hang it myself.
opinion free

Years ago, we changed out the front door on a stick built, farm house. It took us days, to get it right and since your going to put in a new door jamb, here is a product that really helped us. If you go to that youtube website online and type in GRK Top Star Shim Screw, they have a 34 second video, for these screw things, that made hanging our next door EASY. They use all kinds of door hanging jargon, but to put it simply, if the door isn't balanced correctly, it doesn't open/close properly. These Shim Screws made it VERY, VERY EASY, to balance the door.

To find an inexpensive (regular sized) entry door, try posting an ad on Craigslist or call you local salvage or recycle place (we got a regular sized, solid wood entry door for a shed for $20). You can always upgrade it at a later time and it won't be as big a project.
Good luck.
Greg S

The choice of door material should only matter to you. Any door can be cut to fit assuming you have the proper tools. A metal cutting blade in a circular saw is preferred for metal doors however a regular carbide tipped blade will work.
Buy a cheap 7 1/2" construction grade carbide tip blade and install it backwards on the saw to cut thin metal.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

Check the Articles section of the site, Mark has an article there on cutting doors down.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JeffInFL

Thanks .. the article did help .. I just wasn't sure if the material (steel, wood, fiberglass, etc) made a difference as far as being able to cut out a section and put the bottom of the door back together. I'm picking up a door this weekend and will let you guys know how it goes!
Greg

Every door is different, plus depending on the door you may want to take some off of both the top and the bottom. When I cut the back door down I took it all off of the bottom, the door knob is a little low.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Jeff, I don't know what your siding looks like but if it was me I would be seriously looking at fitting the full size door in. It would probably be about the same amount of work as cutting the door down but will be nicer to have the full size. Can you post a picture of your outside to see how much work it would be? Screen doors usually get screwed onto the new door frame, or brick molding, so those holes would be gone. Another thing to consider is you said you wanted a new screen door in the future. If you cut the door down you will have to get a special sized screen door for MHs. Not sure but I would assume this means more expensive and less choices, like everything else special to MHs!
JeffInFL

I ended up replacing the 32x72 door with a 32x80. Raising the height was pretty simple. I'll post pics as soon as I can!
ponch37300

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I think you will be happier with a full size door. Sounds like you're making lots of progress.
JeffInFL

I did a quick write-up with pics here:

https://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/v ... =6&t=10214