New Here

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TheCakerator

Hi everyone! My husband and I are original owners of a 2003 Commander Spring Creek home in a man. home park.

Thought this was the best route to go when we got married but now we both have the itch to get out onto more land. Unfortunately after doing some phone calls found out that placing a USED manufactured home (even though we are original owners) on land can't be financed if money is still owed .. which it is :( So currently have our house up for sale .. Went through the park office first but found out they are way more selective into selling their own homes (rent to own) then selling resident owned homes so .... Looked into an actual real estate agent listing the home only to find out they require a special license to list the homes .. bummer .. Well my sister came through for us and found a realtor with that license so we are now looking to sell through her ..

In the meantime we'll be doing a few odds and ends around the house to get it in tip top shape in case that one potential home buyer falls in love with it! Can't wait to see all the wonderful ideas from this site!
JeffInFL

Welcome! There are definitely some knowledgeable people here!
TheCakerator

Thank you!
Greg

Hi & Welcome. Regulations surrounding the sale of a mobile home vary from state to state. Here in NY they are considered personal property so selling a mobile home is just like a used car. Check the regulations for your state.

Take some time and look around the whole site, there are articles, Mark (the site owner) has Parts & manuals plus LOTS of posts to read.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TheCakerator

Thanks for the welcome! We checked into selling our home and it looks like a real estate agent needs a special license to sell the home, if it's in a park .. To put it on land the house has to be paid off .. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac won't mortgage a used home onto land .. but that would be more then just a state thing, wouldn't it? Maybe not ..
Greg

You may want to do some checking on other types of loans, even if the interest is higher it may end up less in the long run, plus you know the history of your home. Check with credit unions also.

Greg
TheCakerator

Great, we'll look into credit unions .. We already had the land picked out and everything when we found out it couldn't be financed ..
jpingram5

I was able to get my mortgage down low enough that I used a personal line of credit from my credit union to pay it off. Also the park can charge you a fee to move it out I found also, how nice. I have a piece a land that I just have to pay off before I can finally move it on to the land. But yeah, your going to need like a personal loan or combine a personal loan and maybe use a credit card or something to cover the rest if you can get enough to cover it and get the title in your hands. Did you get any prices on moving your home? Just curious, I got a few quotes that varied some bit.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
TheCakerator

Hmmm .. well I don't think we'll be able to get our mortgage down low enough to be able to move it any time soon .. I don't know if our park will charge us to move out the house or not .. I do know that several homes in the park have left .. Not sure where too, other parks maybe? When we called around to move the house (to a lot maybe 5 miles from the park) we were quoted about $5500.00 .. for tear down, traveling, and setting back up .. There are probably other companies out there that may do it cheaper .. this one is local to our area and the one we see moving out the other homes quite often ..
jpingram5

Yeah, its kinda screwy they won't let you move it even though the moving company insures it if something was to go bad. I guess their more concerned about getting all that interest money and wouldn't want a payoff from insurance if it would end up totaled :roll:
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
Greg

Check your STATE laws, in NY the park CANNOT charge you a fee to move out.

$5500 sounds high, I'm planning a move next month. 5 miles between $1800 and $2200. I would make a few more calls.

Greg
TheCakerator

wow, that does seem a lot cheaper then what we were quoted .. But I did only call the one company .. It's frustrating that we can't move the home onto land and have it financed by the bank .. I mean, in the end we'll owe the bank more money if they let us borrow for land, basement, well, septic, driveway and all the other goodies we'd need ...