Adding Additional Footings ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Tom DeBono

We have a 1968 Golden West Double that has been in our park since new. At the time I'm told that the Local and State Building Codes (Santa Cruz County, CA) required piers every 8 feet? Some one mentioned that the code now requires piers every 4 feet. My wife and I are trying to weigh the benefits if any, by adding additional piers for additional stability, and codeing etc... There are no problems or leveling issues at this time and all doors and windows function well. This is our first mobile home and after 40 years of living on concrete the feel underfoot is a little different..... Thanks, Tom..
1987Commodore

Well, if your floors feel bouncy, adding piers will help that.
ponch37300

To be honest I don't have a clue what our code is but my piers are about every 8 feet also. Every 4 feet seems like a lot to me. I would go under your trailer and just take a look at things. See how the piers look and if there is any obvious issues. Also might look into making a simple water level and just seeing how level things are.

I would hate to have to dig out the holes for new piers with the trailer already in place.
Greg

There is a lot that goes into figuring in piers. We just moved ours onto our land, I went through the codes officer. I had to contact a Structural Engineer to get an approved pier layout. They take into consideration the I beam size & soil compaction.

I ended up with 18" dia. piers 48" deep every 8'

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I have always been told that piers are set 5' o.c., when original factory set-up plans are not available. I doubt that a '68 would have pier placement in their set-up plans.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg S

Building codes for everything are constantly changing. It is rare that any existing building is annually upgraded every time codes change. If the home has been fine all these years there is no reason to add additional piers now.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Tom DeBono

Thanks for all the input and feedback. I really appreciate this website and the Boards, you all are great. Thanks again, Tom