What kind of "Jacks" should I buy for my walls and floors?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Billy123

Hey guys I am not one to play around with stuff. I really need to know about all the different jacks you pros use to help with all the different repairs.

1) Jacks to properly replace the Floor joists and Rim joists.
2) Jacks to properly jack up the Exterior Walls and hold the Roof in place.
3) Jacks to properly level the whole trailer out.
4) Any jacks I am over looking?

Could someone spend a little time and link me up all the specialty jacks needed to get the different repair jobs done on a mobile home. Also can I buy these jacks locally to save on the enormous shipping costs. I travel up and down I81 and I95 all the time. I mean I am right off Mason Dixon Rd. between Md. & Pa. thru the week. I then ride thru Wv into Va across the Shenandoah Valley every week to get to the house off I95 just north of Richmond.

So I do travel a lot to get this work done. I can even buy the different jacks from Craigs List or Ebay it's very large route I travel.

Heck maybe shipping isn't that bad on some of the different jacks I need... Who knows?

Thanks for your time!
Billy
Billy123

Let me add the my mobile home is on the side of a hill. The front where the kitchen is almost touches the ground. Then on the other end where the master bedroom is at least 6 foot in the air. I can almost walk underneath it in the back.

So I need to account for all that extra space between the ground and the trailer. And that it not very level to set up jacks. I am not really sure how to get around that issue. I wish the trailer was on level ground...

Thanks
Billy

Sorry for the late nite/ early am posting... Its the only time I can think clearly after a long day at work.
ponch37300

For leveling the trailer I bought one of these 20 ton bottle jacks form harbor freight, http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-hyd ... 66482.html. Google HF 20% coupon and you can find a coupon to save 20% off at harbor freight. You will have to add cribbing to get the jack up to height of the trailer. Is your trailer on piers or something else?

For lifting up the walls so you can replace the subfloor, rim joists, and floor joists you will have to get creative since it's on a slope. I would do like the picture you linked to and use a board nailed to the wall and figure out the best way to jack that up. Once again you're going to have to use cribbing or blocking to transfer the weight to the ground.

Another option that might work better for you would be to jack it from the floor joists. Lag bolt a 2x6 to the wall studs and then a 4x4 at least 6 ft long on the floor. Set a jack on top of the 4x4 making sure it's over a floor joist and jack up on the 2x6 lagged to the wall. This will raise the wall but you will have to support it to the ground so you can remove the jack and be able to replace the floor joists, rim joist, and subfloor under the wall. To do this I would run some 4x4s down to the ground from the outside. Each situation is different. Just remember to be safe about it. Use LOTS of supports so that if one were to give out for some reason the trailer won't come crashing down. Also if I remember right you have the inside gutted. Keep in mind that if you take any of the outside siding off you will compromise your lateral support so jacking might get a little rickity.
Greg

Other than for leveling the home there really should not be any reason to jack it. Don't waste your time trying to replace flooring under the walls, sister in joists and fasten to them.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Greg wrote:Other than for leveling the home there really should not be any reason to jack it. Don't waste your time trying to replace flooring under the walls, sister in joists and fasten to them.

Greg

I second this....

Ron