Skirting question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

I have a friend of mine that insists its netter to put the bottom skirting track on pressure treated wood instead of having it lay on the ground when not on a slab of course. Has anyone else done this or is it necessary or even better?
Thanks
Greg

That is one method, you can also dig a trench and fill it with pea gravel. by using the trench method it allows some give for frost heave if you are in an area that freezes.
You can go to the atricles section to "a better skirting Idea". Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Whether it is best to use a trench or use pressure treated 2x4 depends a lot on your climate region. Extreme cases of frost heave could raise the dirt 6+ inches, which I don't think either method would survive. If you have a moderate amount of frost heave, the trench and pea gravel might be a good idea. Where I live there is virtually no ground frost concerns.

I feel that installing vinyl skirting to pressure treated wood instead of dirt is always a better product. The 2x4 can be secured better to the ground with stakes and the flatness of the 2x4 makes for a much nicer looking skirting. With my customers, it is usually a price issue. There is some labor time and the cost of the pressure treated wood.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Maureen

Like JD mentioned, it depends on your area!

That's the main reason we try to get a basic profile on all our users. What works for me may not work for you, it's that simple!

I've just used the bottom vinyl rail for years. But, for the most part. I live in a very dry area of the country. We do have temp changes from -10 to 108 degrees during the year. My skirting has been stood up to the task! We do have frost heave! Big time!

I'll be really honest though, I do want metal skirting for the long haul here! The more info we get on your home and your area, the more specific we can be!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'