Determining Wall Size

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

Need to know what the size of the interior walls and exterior walls. Are they the standard 2x4 width? Are they insulated? How are the walls built? Are they on 16" centers? Are the exterior walls built on 16" centers? Considering some updating and possibly add insulation along with drywall. We have a MH built in 73-76. Appreciate your expertise!
psaltee
Greg S

Exact answers are difficult however investigation on your part will provide most of your answers.
You can determine wall thickness through examining the window and door openings. Considering the age possibly 2 X 3 walls. Spacing can be determined by measuring between attachment points on the walls or by simply pushing slightly on the walls to find the studs. Interior walls are likely 1 X 3s. Insulation is likely minimal paper backed glass insulation that is poorly installed and in need of additional. Best to add rigid insulation on the exterior when residing.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JeffInFL

My 1982 Fleetwood was 2x3 for the interior and exterior walls. The exterior were 16" OC, but the interior were 24" OC .. actually the interior were 48" OC with a 1x3 at the 24" mark. There was no insulation in the interior walls.

When I gutted the exterior walls, I replaced the existing insulation with R13. For the interior walls, I added additional 2x3's to get proper 16" OC framing before putting up new drywall.
Greg

I hate to throw a wrench into the gears but.... Your home is what is called "Pre HUD". Before HUD got involved manufactures used whatever they wanted, there were NO minimum standards. Some builders used way above what is now standard, others had homes that barely held themselves up (the term "trailer" comes from them). Some used 2x, some even used 1x.

You may need to pull a panel to get a look at what you are dealing with.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Psaltee

It appears according to what you all have stated that the exterior walls may very well be 2x3's. Since I will remove the paneling on an exterior wall and notice that it is indeed 2x3's will those 2x3's have sufficient strength to handle remodeling that includes add-ons to the exterior walls? To give the wall added strength can I put back to back 2x3's in its place to replicate a 2x4 and continue my remodel or is that overkill? Since the 2x3s are 16 - 24" OC would it be a good time to put in additional 2x3's every 16"OC? Wouldn't it be easier to take out the interior side of the exterior wall and either double up the 2x3's or replace the 2x3's with a 2x4? I'm trying to anticipate a weather change and trying to save some time and money. Maybe that would be a good time to add additional insulation. Just talking out loud.
psaltee
Greg S

In light of the fact you plan to make additions it would be wise if you spoke with your local building inspector now as you will be applying for building permits anyway.
Our building code states when we do an add on the addition is required to have it's own support wall against the original exterior walls of the home (double wall) and full support underneath much like having a separate free standing building.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
JeffInFL

Psaltee wrote:will those 2x3's have sufficient strength to handle remodeling that includes add-ons to the exterior walls?
What type of add-ons did you have in mind?

I mounted a 54" LCD TV to an interior 2x3 wall that I reinforced by adding additional 2x3's so they'd be 16" OC. Seemed pretty solid to me.