Concern about aluminum wire

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Peter

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 1971 Guerdon Mh with aluminum wire and i heard about the aluminum wire can catch fire, any advice how to live with it safely.Thanks
Robert

Hi Peter,

Best to get an electrician to come out. There are ways to safely correct it, but it takes a certain tool and supplies to do it, plus knowledge of how to do it.

Aluminum connected to other type metals will cause oxidation, which leads to corrosion that breaks down the connection.

It becomes loose and will arc causing fire hazards.

There is a pigtail that electricians (certified to do it) can install on each outlet, switch, etc, to resolve this.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
JD
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

Go with Roberts advice and hire a qualified licensed electrician. Be sure he is up to date with the latest code requirements in your area. Years ago, the company I worked for pigtailed a lot of homes with the then approved 3M Scotchlock Special Method. We touted how this was much safer than the purple Ideal twist connectors, which studies show is a true statement. But as of June 2007, neither of these pigtail methods are approved. The approved method is using the COPALUM Aluminum Wire Connector. This method should only be done by an experienced licensed electrician.

I am not an electrician and do not guarantee complete accuracy of this information. I have studied the subject as best I can and use this information to tell customers why we do not offer a pigtail service with our mobilehome repair business.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Peter

Hi JD,

I live in San Jose ,Ca you know what is the cost to do COPALUM Aluminum Wire Connector, this MB is about 37 years old and it looks like does not have any problem so far with the previous owner.I don't know i should leave it alone like that or i should fix it, i am a little bit scare in the future it will cause any problem or no.Thanks
Brenda (OH)

Hi Peter,

If you get a recommendation for a qualified electrician from someone you trust that works in construction or some similar trade, so that you can feel that the electrician is good and not going to do unneccessary work, you should be able to have them come do an estimate or an inspection for a set fee. Maybe have two different electricians come look if the first one gives you an high estimate? Peace of mind is valuable also.

that said, if you have dead outlets or switches, that seems to be the kind of repair that they open stuff up, try some things, see if that worked, try the next thing etc until they see what was the source of the problem, then they can tell you the solution (or at least that was what the electrician I was working with this week did lol)

My electrician said I had copper clad aluminum wires, that was another type of wiring, it is prone to breaking if the copper coating gets nicked. My sticker shock was we chose to replace the outlets we worked on with ones rated for aluminum, they were $3 each, vs 54 cents for regular outlets. The aluminim rated light switches were $4 a switch. I gulped at that one, but I wanted the peace of mind again, so I paid it.

Brenda
JD
Site Admin

Hi Peter,

The best thing to do it is take Brenda's advice and have a qualified electrician look at the job and give you a bid. I think it will be a given that any electrician will say it is a good idea to replace, pigtail or a combination of pigtail and aluminum approved switches and outlets. Aluminum wiring is not considered safe in the industry. Granted, some people will not have problems, but then again, some people with polybutylene plumbing won't have problems. (I am sure the failure rate of pb pipe is much higher than aluminum wiring)

Here is the only currently recommended pigtail splice that I know of for aluminum wire. Twist connectors of any type are not considered safe as of the last report.

As Brenda said, there are copalum outlets and swtches. I have not seen anything that said if these units are not safe. But there are wire connections that cannot be addressed with these devices such as ceiling fans and lights, out door lights, anything that is hard wired.

So, the degree of safety is left to the consumer and electrical contractor. Changing just the outlets and switches is probably good for the greatest part of aluminum wire problems. CPSC recommends addressing every connection to the home, which would include light boxes.

How much would it cost? Again, best to get a bid from an electrical contractor. I would think that a qualified electrician could change just the outlets and switches in a full day or a little less. A complete job on your home could take up to 2 days. Keep in mind, this is my approximating (guessing). I would think an electrician would cost you at least $80 and hour in San Jose.

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Peter, Just to clarify the issue of aluminum wiring does not just effect mobile homes, many stick built homes used it as well and suffer the same problems. As suggested contact a qualified electrician to give your home a look over. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

Hi Nicky,

That was then, this is now. That method was used often by everyone including me, but Laws and Codes have changed drasticly in recent years. That paste and those connectors are no longer legal, code or recommended.

Also, when they were recognized and used, you had to take the paste and mash it into the wire/wiring with your fingers to effectively coat it before placing the wire nut on it.

The above pic that JD showed is the current and only way recommended or accepted by todays code.

This is why we generally do not allow repair advice on electrical, gas, etc.., due to dangers if not fully knowledgeable and up to date on codes.. If changes have occurred as they have here, the old way could be potentially dangerous.

Therefore, due to the dangers and legalities of those methods, I am deleting your post as a safety precaution.

I hope you understand and will continue to help in the future as you often have in the past..

Thanks.

Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?

Robert wrote:Hi Nicky,

Therefore, due to the dangers and legalities of those methods, I am deleting your post as a safety precaution.

I hope you understand and will continue to help in the future as you often have in the past..

Thanks.

Robert
Oh, that's all right, Robert, but I'm in Canada and I've no idea what the rules are here. The electrician I use is knowledgeable. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Nicky T