Cats in the ductwork.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jeff13624

Somehow, cats have gotten into the ductwork of my MH. getting into the winter season, when the furnace turns on, I get a lovely aroma. Any suggestions, on how to get rid of the smell beside the obvious of find out how they get in and block it off?
ponch37300

I feel for you, even if you get the cats out I'm assuming they have left their mark inside the ducts. First thing first you are going to have to get the cats out somehow and then stop them from getting back in. Might try a have a heart live trap to try and draw them out. Then find the spots in the belly wrap that needs to be repaired to keep them from coming back. Also checking to make sure the insulation wasn't damaged. Also have to figure out how they got into the actually heat ducts, most likely a hole in them now that needs patching.

That will get things sealed up again, but that will still leave you with the smell in there! I don't know what would work best to counter that. They probably make a spray of some sort that will help eliminate the odor. Maybe put it in a 10 dollar pump up garden sprayer so you can take the heat grates off and spray in both directions to try and cover everything.
countrydan

I would do as ponch mentioned and in the garden sprayer I would use a product called MICRO BAN. It is sold in gallon containers and works very very well for mold, mildew, smells, etc. possibly Home Depot carries it.

I have used this and it does work. I haven't used it for cat smells but water damage/mildew and have been satisfied. Good luck