I want to drop all three axles and get rid of them.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Billy123

Guys I am going to have all kinds of problem putting my belly liner back with those three axles in the way under my 14x70.

1) Can I get rid of them with no repercussions?
2) The home will never move again.
3) If I did need to move it we would tear it to the ground and throw it away.

Also the tongue is in the way of the new skirting. Its not bolted in anyway. Can I cut the tongue off as well?

1) Does it hold the two frame rails together to some degree?
2) The home will never move again.

Thanks
Billy
ponch37300

Our three axles and tongue are just laying under the trailer on the ground.
Greg S

The axils are worth money if in usable condition, remove and sell. As far as the tongue is concerned it has no structural purpose. Smart park owners would insist that all tongues be removed once the home is set. Aesthetically they are as ugly as hell especially when camouflaged with plantings.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Billy123

Any ideas on how to get the axles down safely? They are at least 6 foot up in the air. Sure doesn't look like fun but they need to go.
Norm Frechette

Billy123 wrote: 2) The home will never move again.
3) If I did need to move it we would tear it to the ground and throw it away.
i think you answered your own questions :)
Norm Frechette

Billy123 wrote:Any ideas on how to get the axles down safely? They are at least 6 foot up in the air. Sure doesn't look like fun but they need to go.
jacks or come alongs/chain hoists?
ponch37300

6 feet is up there. Anyone know about how much an axles weighs? You're going to have to figure out how to lower it safely. If this was me I would go buy an electric hoist like this, http://www.harborfreight.com/110-volt-4 ... 40765.html. Can google HF 20% off coupon and save 20 bucks. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool! I would figure out a way to mount the hoist to the beam, probably just some beam clamps. Use a snatch block chained to the beam just above the axle to run the cable thru in order to lower the axle. Put some chains around the each side of the axle to catch it when you un bolt it from the frame. Un bolt the axle and the chains will catch it a couple inches lower. Then hook the hoist up to one side and take that side's chain off from the beam. Then lower that side with the hoist. Repeat on the other side. Not sure if that's the best way but that's what I think I would do. Maybe someone else will have a better solution.
Greg

If you drop one axle at a time, figure 100-150 lbs. 2 people can handle them. They are worth money, but you need to find someone that want them, it may be $10 ea or $100 if you can find the right person.

A sawsall will cut through the tongue with no problem. If you scrap them, "Short steel" 4' or less usually pays more. you can cut the axles in half or thirds and scrap them too.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaleM

Prior to removing any running gear you had better check the rules of the park you live in. Some want the axles left under there.