1999 DW Remodel

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

spc13b2005

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. My wife and I have decided to remodel out 1999 Double Wide. We will do a room at a time. We are starting with the master bathroom. Here is some pictures.

Had a soft spot in the center of the bathroom floor. I cut it out from joist to joist and framed in with some supports between the joist.

We installed new vinyl floor planking in the bathroom. I think it looks very nice.

Greg

That's the way to do it! Just don't use partial board, Plywood is preferred but OSB works fine.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
spc13b2005

I priced all the materials to re-insulate the underside of the trailer.

$862.38 for the R-30 insulation
$196.00 for the plastic 6mil Black construction sheeting

a little pricey but that is the cheapest I could find it. you have to do what you have to do. :(
Greg

you don't want to use plastic, you need the belly to breath. I would go with Tyvec over plastic.

I think Mark has belly material in the site's store, you could check with him for a price.

Greg
spc13b2005

Thanks for the reminder Greg. I didn't think about it needing to be breathable. :)

I just got out from under the house. There was not as much damage as previously thought. I would say that 85-90% of the original belly material and insulation is still in tact and looks good.

I checked the cross over duct while I was down there. I seen that it has been replaced once before because the old one was still down under the house. The "replacement" will need to be replaced because it looks like it was cut in two and spliced together and there is air leaking all through it.

Sounds like a great project for this weekend since the temps will be close to the low 60's
spc13b2005

I also found a sewage leak that leads to the septic tank. I will be on that in a few hours. Took off work today to get it done.

Greg

The fun just never ends!!!

Greg
spc13b2005

I fixed the sewer drain today. Tomorrow I will replacing the cross over duct. When I was under the house today I did find out that the cross over duct was laying on the ground and covered up with a bunch of fallen insulation.

I will replace the insulation, Staple the belly material back up and attach the new cross over duct. After that I have a couple other spots to add insulation and staple up belly material.

I have lived here almost 5 years and never checked the cross over. I even had a new heat pump and furnace installed about 3 years ago. This whole time I guess I have been heating and cooling the under side of the house. I was wondering why my electric bill was so high. Especially in the summer months. I was paying about $400-$500 a month. I hope it changes this year. :)

I also bought all my stuff today to make my water level. I plan on checking the houses level Sunday. I will at least make a layout of all the piers and their adjustment needed. If I don't actually jack and level the house Sunday then I will complete that task Monday since I am off work.
Greg

spc13b2005 wrote:
I also bought all my stuff today to make my water level. I plan on checking the houses level Sunday. I will at least make a layout of all the piers and their adjustment needed. If I don't actually jack and level the house Sunday then I will complete that task Monday since I am off work.
I start from the center and work my way out. Once you get the pier chart & "height map" made it makes thing a lot easier. Just remember to recheck after you make adjustments, sometimes moving one changes another.

Greg
spc13b2005

Thanks for the tips Greg. This is my first time. It doesn't doesn't seem to hard from what i have read. I bought Mark's mobile home manual online and read over the leveling chapter about 5 times to make sure i didn't miss anything. All tips and tricks with mobile homes are greatly appreciated. I am learning as i go.
spc13b2005

Installed the new cross over duct today! WoW do I get some strong air flow. I cant wait to see how much less my HVAC will run. I am sure it will save me some money on my electric bill. Cant wait to see the difference.
spc13b2005

Hey everyone. I have been away for a while. I am going to be continuing my projects.