How safe is it to store items in the belly of the beast?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Just wondering how many of you are using the space under your mobile home for storage? While I was down there installing my Central air conditioning lines I notice it was really cool and dry I thought I could free up some space in my shed by storing some items down there, is it recommended that you used this available space for storage? Granted your limited to just crawling around but it's not too bad to move around.
Quite a bit of stuff is now stored down below.
Mark
Site Admin

I've never been a fan of storing stuff underneath. It isn't always dry (at least for most people). When I do service calls, I really cringe if I have to crawl around people's junk to do a repair.

Years ago I did a releveling, and if I hadn't drove a 200 miles to do the job, I would have immediately left the job after seeing how packed with crap the underneath was. A lot of stuff stored underneath is never seen or used again -- so just as well haul it to the dump. Of course the wife says that about all the stuff in my shed! LOL.

Mark
You can't fail if you don't try!
Maureen

I'm not a fan of storing things under your home either!

Mark gave you the repairman's view about stuff under the home. Here's a DIY homeowners view. If a pipe leaks, and they do from time to time, you'll have to remove many wet boxes and stuff to get to the leak. That's even before you take on getting into the belly and removing wet insulation! Any repair down under is nasty in my book. I don't want to add anything more to repairs under the home! We have nothing stored under our home.

Do yourself a favor. If the stuff hasn't been used in more than a year:

1. donate it to your favorite charity, it's a tax write off
2. have yourself a garage sale, make some extra cash
3 buy another shed to store it in, save yourself a major headache!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'

I spent the first 2 months after I bought my MH clearing out all the junk the previous owner had stored under there. Lumber in various states of decomposition, a screen house that had seen much better days and old skirting that had to have been there for years. All of this junk (especially the wood) was a haven for bugs and caused a damp smell every time I'd remove a piece of skirting to check anything under there. Whatever you put down there, it only needs to get wet once to become a problem. Now that everything is out of there the bug problem is gone and replacing my heat tape last year was made so much easier than it would've been with all that junk in the way. The really big advantage to not having anything at all under there is that it only takes a quick scan with a flashlight to spot the smallest water leak. That's something that could go unnoticed for months and lead to expensive repairs if there were piled-up storage items blocking the view.
Harry

Hi

MobileWayne makes a good point with the leak checking with a good light. To help with the leak checking I have a clean piece of cardboard underneath the kitchen and bath. If a drop of water hits the cardboard it leaves mark.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Yanita

Hi,

You have been given good advice thus far. We all know these homes lack in storage, but I , the same as them discourage the use of storage under the home.

Not only does it encourage pest, but I consider it a fire hazard. If you must store things underneath then make certain you are not storing any flammable fluids under there.

Welcome to the site. I see you have posted many pics to your profile area, thank you!

Yanita
Last edited by Yanita on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
bkbunny

Just adding my two cents here :D
I store things under my trailer, I have sheeting down on ground (moisture barrier) and all items are in rubbermade type containers.
well, excluding gardening stuff that gets placed there in late Oct for the winter. I guess it all depends on the items you want to store under trailer.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I may in the future exchange containers to plastic totes. I did an inspection while I was under the mobile home and all seem clean and dry this is a new home been here for almost a year.

I liked the extra spaced I gained from moving items out of the shed. it is well organized underneath. Most of the stuff stored under is worth $$$ will try later to off load on Ebay.

I'm planning in the future to maybe get a bigger custom shed maybe built my own or get a tough shed as we all know we have very limited storing space in a mobile home.

Thanks Yanita I'm glad you liked the pictures wish more would upload what the have done and show everyone. Seems like I get more looks on the fence lizard than my home. lol!