Siding Questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

speedracer0626

Ok I know that there are a few engineers on here and people with more experience than I. So I have a 1981 Destiny 14x50 and it has the dreaded T1-11 siding rot. Hardiplank is just a hair cheaper than T1-11, so I assume that I would have to beef it up to accept the additional weight load as well as giving me something to attach to. I would like to maintain a budget but do it right and not ever touch it again. I have limited experience with vinyl and installation and I don't think I could do it a section at a time. Thanks guys
Greg

Depending on how much additional weight, you can add parameter blocking under the rim joists. Vinyl siding is not that hard to do and as far as a section at a time, you would want to replace the rotted T111 with new underlay and house wrap before installing the vinyl so you would be working in sections. once you have the underlay & wrap in place you can do the whole side in vinyl and it does go fairly fast once you get to that point.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
speedracer0626

I think cost wise vinyl would be the way to go. I noticed today that Marvin's sells exact replacement panels. The problem is the humidity here and what it does to that form of T1. Underlay? They attached this T1 directly to the studs, so I have no roof overhang to accommodate the extra material unfortunately. Unless there is a way? Thanks Greg
HouseMedic

Like Greg said above, I am not sure but I would think you could redo the walls with 7/16 OSB then put vinyl siding on and the weight would not be that different then the origenal t-111

Ron
speedracer0626

A fresh piece of t1 is fairly dense and heavy, so I agree. Now what about the exterior wall protruding past the roof line? Do I just flash it further out, or is that even an issue? Thanks guys for the help, you guys are awesome.