Need advice on subfloor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

fargoman

I've just noticed there's a soft spot on my floor around my front door.

Would using a circular saw be the best way for cutting the rotten wood out and do you think a reciprocating saw may be helpful for this project in any way? I was thinking of using a stud finder for locating the floor joist.

I really appreciate your help
JD
Site Admin

The easiest way for me to find a floor joist on a particle board floor is with a hammer. Give the floor a good whack and it will bust our a section. If it is water damaged, it takes little effort. I work me out at least a 6" hole, stick my tape in there and measure to the edge of the floor joist. Add 3/4" and make a mark. Do this at both ends of your cut, and you got your line on top of the joist. A circular or worm drive saw set to the exact depth is used there and the diagonal cut across the floor if it is away from the wall. I only use the reciprocating along the wall to get real close. Be aware and careful of electrical wires and plumbing. Again, knocking out a hole for inspection can help. When removing large sections of floor, I will cut between each floor joist to allow the section of floor to be leveraged out. A lot easier than trying to pull up floor that is nailed to more than one joist.

If you are talking about walls, I usually pry paneling and wreck/demo sheetrock.

JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Most of us use both, Like JD said set the circular saw so it just goes through the sub floor usually 3/4" and cut the area out smaller than what you need untill you know for sure where the joists are. You may need to sister a joist together to give yourself something to attach the new section to.
Also you may need a 3/4" chisel if you need to get under or next to a wall. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
fargoman

Thanks guys if I have any more questions I'll come back.