How to stop the squeeks

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

lowensp

When we bought our house you could easily slip through the house quite as a mouse over the last year. Now as of late I am noticing everywhere you step the floor is begining to sqweek. How do I fix this. We are not planning on selling the house for a LONG time but it drives us nuts.
Greg

Many times squeeks are from the lag bolts along the frame rail loosing up. try tightining up the bolts SLIGHTLY and see if that helps.
Mark's book covers this and most other problems you may ever have, well worth buying. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi lowensp,

I notice that you're in TX. Have you been prone to the heavy rains this year? You might want to check the level of your home also! Even our homes, on foundations, converted to real estate, need to be checked from time to time.

We've got a '73 home in Nevada on foundation, considered real estate, but we're about due in the next 2 years to check the level on it! Lots of new squeaks due to the drought! Changes in the ground itself can have an impact on our homes set ups, no matter what!

If the squeaks are along the marriage line of the home, then tighten the lag bolts as Greg mentioned. If they are in different areas of your home, check the level also. Also check your doors and windows also for ease of opening and closing.

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'