vinyl siding repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sonboy36

yesterday while I was cutting grass,I slung a rock which unfortunately hit the side of my doublewide.It left a hole in the vinyl siding which is pretty obvious.I was wondering if there was any way to fix that hole without having to replace the long piece of vinyl siding.Thanks
hvac1000

Not really. Mark has some tape for sale but I do not know about the colors available. If you can find the piece or pieces you might be able to reattach the broken off part with silicone or some type of clear glue that will work on vinyl.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
JD
Site Admin

If you can find all of the pieces, you could use hvac's idea of the tape, and put the tape on the back side of the siding. You can take the siding apart with a Zip Tool, available at most home stores cheap. You can lift just the bottom of that siding piece and lift it up enough to get the tape behind it, then work the missing piece in to the front like a puzzle piece. Then using something hard for backing, like a hammer or small garden trowel press the pieces and siding wit ha lot of pressure to get it to stick real good. Then, you could seal the the crack with a clear caulk. Geocel would be a better choice than silicone. I really do recommend the patch material Mark has available here. It is some of the stickiest stuff you can find and is made to be in all kinds of weather.

Just an idea.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.