jalousie window seals

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opie77

I have a 1960 Midwest. It has the original jalousie windows still in it. I was looking into replacing them, but I'm not willing to spend that kind of money. Ive searched a few places, and couldn't find anything. I'm looking to see if I can replace the seals for this type of window. Or did these windows not have seals? My local mobile home store refuses to help me or listen to me. When I told him what style cranks I had for these windows, (5/16 hex instead of the splined type) he told me they never made that type, even though I had my window crank in my hand.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Greg

Hi & welcome. Most of us here have learned that about the only thing that those windows are good for in cold weather is letting cold air in. A lot of us here replace with a good double hung window from any home center.
You can try the plastic route but very few have had any luck. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

I actually love my jalousie windows. There's nothing like having the windows wide open during a sudden summer storm when it's been hot & humid all day. The 3 in my bedroom provide a beautifully cooling breeze on warm evenings. I have replaced a few with direct replacement mobile home (single-pane) horizontal sliders from Ashville Mobile Homes for less than $75 each, including a huge one in my kitchen. Yes, they are nowhere near as tight in winter, but with good inside storms and a little (easily removed in spring) rope caulk along the edges, I was quite cozy here last winter and used little fuel oil. The other day I happened upon some small, wide and strong alligator-type clips at Home Depot for less than a dollar each. I plan on affixing a couple to the bottom edge of each window to hold them down even tighter this season. You can also use very thin weatherstripping on the inside edges to help seal them, but I have found that to be much work for little gain. I do not believe they ever came with seals. Most just had plastic slider clips which only kept the aluminum windows from contacting the aluminum frame. Perhaps you can find your crank at the link below, or try Ashville Mobile Homes or The Mobile Home Store website.

http://www.swisco.com/page/SI/CTGY/jal-cas-awn-handles