Replacing Water lines

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

scooby

Hi, I have a 72 home that has galvanized pipes that need replacing, and am looking at pex. first can i use 1/2" for the main line. and second all of my feeds are 3/8" copper. what will be the best way to do this. i was looking at the watts push connectors? or would it be better to do the ring connectors? i have to do a kitchen sink , washer, 1 toilet, 1 vanity sink. Thanks. and what parts would i need?
Harry

Hi

I would go 100% PEX to include the fittings.

Here's a great article to get you started:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/article ... ines1.html

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Hi & welcome to the family. You have the right Idea about using PEX. To use PEX fittings you will need a crimper, Mark has them here in the books & parts section. I have a set of pocket crimpers that use a vise grip to make the crimp, they are a little slow but a half the cost of a regular crimper I can live with it as often as I use it.
For sizes, I would use 3/4" supply from the ground to the water tank and 1/2" from there, the costs are about the same and the flow will be much better. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Archie

I agree with Greg. Go with 3/4 supply lines and 1/2 inch to fixtures. This should require you to only have to buy one set of crimpers that will do both 1/2 and 3/4. The 3/8 inch line will usually require another set just for itself.

That being said I would not use any type of compression fitting. I would stick with the crimp rings and the go/no go gauge.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Manitoba Bill

Talking about the crimp rings I saw on This Old House the plumber did not use them. They installed PEX under-floor heating, plumbing and even a sprinkler system.

It may be an old method but they seemed to use an expander that opened the ends and then the PEX collapsed back down over ridged metal male connections.
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
JD
Site Admin

Those are the Wirsbo ProPEX expander type fittings. I see them from time to time in the homes I look at and I guess they work well. The fittings do look kind of cool. I didn't have the guts to try it though. We use the SSC stainless steel crimps. I like the way the tool ratchets down to a click, before releasing the fitting. I know most people here use the QS style compression fitting and the go- no go tool, but we have never had a problem with the SSC.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.