Skylight

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

chasMB

Looking for a skylight. I have looked at several places for a replacement 22" x 30" skylight for the up and coming roof repairs this January (Thats the way my luck goes....) I know a lot of the decking will have to be replaced at the same time. Some of what I am pondering is:

I know how to cut this in and seal it with shingles but could use suggestions if I go back with a metal roof.

Would I be better off raising the skylight up off the roof on a short curb?

I am open to suggestion on places to get that size skylight also. Ashville doesn't have that size listed.

I have done construction for years as a hobby/myself need. I have a 16x16 2 story barn style shop out back with 9' sidewalls when the starting plans showed 4' sidewalls.....
Greg

Some here will tell you to get rid of it, others like myself have had no or few problems. I have a Velux in ours, I won't say that I have had no problems, but it is usually only when there is a foot of snow over it and I develop condensation problems.
My Advice is this. If you are going to have a skylight, spend the little extra and buy a top shelf make (Velux is a very good brand) and follow their instructions for installing it. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
chasMB

There is no choice in having the skylight...I do want to sleep at night and know I will probably wake up in the morning. If I get rid of the skylight over her garden tub I am not sure I could do that :shock: