wall plug wires running to light fixture

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rayce00

No wonder I didn't make it in electrical school in the Navy! I have an older (73) mobile that I have the ceiling torn out of one room. The light has 3 wire sets running to it. I would think black to black, white to white and so on. But nooooo. One of these sets crosses to have the whites wire-nutted in with the other two blacks??? Then one of the whites has just been clipped off. I am thinking this is why the wall plug in that room and the one in the living room on the facing wall. Problem is this wiring is so confusing the way it is I don't want to get bit. I really hate that. Any help would be so great. If some one has a great idea real quick, please email it to me at lubbock@att.blackberry.net then I can get it sooner.

Thanks a bundle and I'm so glad to have finally found this site. What a helpful bunch!

Rayce
Greg

Hi & welcome. It sounds to me like the fine folks at Bubba inc. are into electrical again.
As a general rule, Electrical is a subject we don't like to give much advice in. There is always the potential for SERIOUS injury for an experianced person.
You are correct as far the colors staying the same (unless you have a 3 way light). I would recommend either calling an electrician or at the very least buy a book on home wiring. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Archie

The light switch is connected with one romex wire. ( black and white). The black brings the power to the switch but the white takes it back to the fixture.

Basically you need the 3 black wires from the outlets and the switch connected.

The white wire from the switch connects to the black wire of the light fixture.

The 2 white wires from the outlets connect with the 1 white wire from the light fixture.

It is the white wire from the switch that is probably confusing you since it is in fact acting as a hot black lead.

Please be safe and do not attempt this if you have any doubts as to your ability.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
jeff

I just went through the remove ceiling and work on wiring here.

When the power comes into the ceiling box first, then to the switch, that is called a switch loop. Search "switch loop" on the net.

This is common in my home that is real close to the same year as yours. I do not see this in modern construction.

As far as getting "bit", I turn off the breaker before working.
rayce00

Yes, Bubba Inc. is hard back at work. Thanks to all with helpful info. As for Bubba Inc., we can't all afford to hire an electrician. I am disabled and make less than $800 a month. So, yes, Bubba Inc. has work to do all the time. I can certainly understand the limited info. for electrical work. I don't like messing with it myself. But, what has to be done...you know the rest.

Again, thanks to all and will be keeping a close eye on this site for future needed repairs.

Rayce Speed
President: Bubba Inc.
Yanita

We look forward to helping you again.

Thanks for understanding that some repair advice has to be monitored. Some folks only come here and read and then take the answers and try to do the repair, injury can result...

Good luck,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!