Insulating and Vapor barrier

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mist1953

I apologize if this was already asked. I need some advise. We are little worried about frozen pipes. We've just now had all our pipes fixed and we don't want to have the same problem of trying to get some one out to take care of them because it took so long to have them done.

My question is, if we put down a vapor barrier of 6mil plastic and put insulation board around the perimeter of our trailer will this help as far as deterring the possibility of frozen pipes or will this cause more of a problem for us. We do not live in the trailer all year round just over the spring, summer and early fall. We do now have heat tape on the main water line and put our thermostat on 60 degrees. I know there is no guarantees, I'm just hoping we are doing all the right things. Any help/advise is appreciated.
Greg

I have my doubts as to how much help it would be, but at the same time it can't hurt either. I would drain the system & blow it out, as well as winterizing the drains also. If you have a prolonged power outage you would not have to worry then. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

The vapor barrier I can not see as anything that would help in not freezing. Now adding insulation to the interior of your skirting will. BUT, that being said, since you are not in the home all winter I would take Greg's advice and drain the lines, and then winterize properly. Just the thought of losing your power.....

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Archie

The vapor barrier won't help much, winter is usually a pretty dry season. The insulation though, may help. Having had to replace water lines and heat tape in freezing weather I know from experience that just getting out of the wind under and behind a well sealed skirting makes a big difference. Adding a bit of insulation may make the difference.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
mist1953

Thank you all, I was hoping I did not have to winterize but it sure looks as if I had better.
Greg

If you weigh the time to winterize and have peace of mind vs. HOPING you don't have a problem and the time to fix it if you do the choice is simple. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."