Giles Mobile Homes - New unit

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

garrett_reukauf

I was wondering if anyone in the forum has had any experiences with "Giles Industries Mobile Homes" they are a division of "SE Homes" http://www.gilesindustries.com/index.html
There is a mobile home park in my area that has brand new 3 bedrooms for rent, I am considering renting one of these units and i was just curious as to the "reputation" of the manufacturer. It's brand new, never been lived in before. I know, it's a mobile home, what do i expect, right? I just want to know about the workmanship really. Do they last a reasonable amount of time. What are somethings I should look for in a mobile home. I am not buying one, so I don't have to front the cost of repair and maintenance, but on the other hand i don't want be calling the repair man every other day either. I have already seen the inside of the exact model i will be renting http://www.gilesindustries.com/FP.php?m=C6372A&w=16&f=0
and it seems to be a pretty nice unit. The only thing I notice is the some of the molding strips along the trim and wall seams are coming off, they were just staple tacked up there so i will have will have to put small brads in them to reinforce them. Other than that it seems OK. What can i expect in the winter months. I live in Greeneville, TN (Eastern TN) at the foothills to the mountains.
Thanks in advance for your comments and help.
Garrett
Yanita

Hi,

Sorry this has not been answered sooner. guess with the holiday weekend it got missed.

Anyways welcome to the site.

Personally I am not familiar with that brand home. As far as how long a MH will last is contingent upon the care or abuse it receives over the years. If proper preventive maintenance is done then the home will last a long time, the one I live in is 35 years old and still solid!

The trim that you are talking about fixes easily, about all homes the trim does this during transport or set up. It will easily tack back into place.

What can you expect...to live in this home as you would any other home. Every home requires something. As for utility bills, they vary greatly from area to area, type of utilities you are using and the temp you keep it set at. Is the home properly insulated, and the units running properly?

As for the rest of it it would seem that since you are renting any repairs etc would be the landlords responsibilities.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Archie

While I don't know of any info on these homes specifically I can say that mobile homes in general have come a long way since the HUD codes changed in the early 90's. New homes come with PEX water pipes, standard size doors and windows, better insulation, better electrical, better appliances, and even some better cabinets.

The thing to remember though is that they are built to be cheap and like any item that has several thousands of components assembled together a few may fail. Instead of worrying about how well the home will stand up I would be asking other renters how well the people you are renting it from handle doing the maintenance. Do they show up when you call and repair or address your complaint? Or do they give excuses and half hearted attempts at repairs?
Experience is what you get after you need it.
garrett_reukauf

Thanks for the feedback. I love this site, has lots of interesting and neat things to it. I am not too worried about the maintance issues. Unless it is a major repair, I will probably just front the cost and fix it myself. I dont really like people I dont know mosing around my house, I've had issues before w/ that. If the water heater, furnace or another appliance goes, then I will call them the same for broken sewer or water lines. Anyways thanks again and happy living!
wayne

Are those flat ceilings in the pictures? Aren't there usually cathedral ceilings?
garrett_reukauf

Yep, the ceilings are flat. I think the more "fancy" and "spendy" models may have the vaulted ceilings. But so far it seems ok. Just got moved in. The only thing I don't care much for is the kitchen door and walls, well the vinyl siding, on the west "creek" and "pop" when the sun is on that side, but its just the heat. Something I gotta deal with I guess. And I have noticed that since it has been on the "pad" for almost 4 weeks and it starting to settle in place, the interior doors dont stick much and seem to be squaring up nicely.
scty2hty3

Giles mobile homes is located in tazewell Tennessee and was owned by southern energy til clayton homes purchased giles and southern energy this year.