Help with window sills

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Dani

Hi All,

The ledge around all my windows is about 3 inches wide. It looks like they orginally used stirps of paneling glued together for the inside of the frame and sills. Well thats all fallen down and is in pieces. I need to know or some ideas of what I can use to replace it. Regular wood you buy at home stores is all to think to work as the windows won't open. I need something really thin to use. Any ideas or suggestion appreicated much.

Thanks for your help,
Dani
Oh Home is like 1978 single wide
Old Guy

Paneling is probably your best bet, it comes in many colors and styles, unless you have enough clearance for 3/8" drywall, but it will have to be taped and finished.
After you get the paneling in, a little caulk and maybe some new trim will give a beautiful job.
Yanita

Hi,

Luan, it is 1/4 finished grade plywood. You can either stain it or paint it.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Dani, Lowes & H.D. both have craft wood, it is as little as 1/4" thick but it is avalable in widths up to 6". It is usually in with the Hardwood boards, a little pricey but it would work and look better than paneling.
A better idea would be to replace the window with a double hung and finish it off like a stick built window. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
76artcraft

Hi,

My friends mobile home has that white paneling stuff between the windows(it came factory that way). New windows are not an option for me right now, so I was thinking of getting some.

I don't know what it's called, but they sell it in the same spot as wood paneling in the home stores. Comes in a 4 X 8 sheet, priced about $20.00. It's white, smooth, like it has a plastic surface. I've seen people use it instead of tub surrounds.

-Sam
JD
Site Admin

In my area, it is called Thrifty White, available either smooth or as Tile Board, embossed to look like tiles. This is what they used to call Masonite. As bath walls, when it gets old, it tends to blister.

You can use luan panels or paneling. I run it through the table saw to get a perfect straight edge along the window. If you don't have access to a table saw or a good straightedge, just use the factory edges against the window and let the trim cover the cut edge. I will caulk along the window and then slide the paneling piece into place. Then I take a damp T-shirt material rag to clean up the caulk to a fine bead. I usually use glue in the middle and brads under the edge where the trim goes.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Brenda (OH)

I have heard of folks cutting and using leftover laminate flooring, it is fairly thin, and has a slightly water resistant top surface. if you use paneling,you may want to give it a coating of polyurethane so if any rain gets on it it tends to sit on top so you can wipe it off. and caulk the edges to the window and the frame

it think the white paneling is called fiberglass reinforced paneling. the thicker grade requires glue or you have to predrill the holes before putting in screws. the thicker grade is also a bear to cut (I had to use my circular saw) so this is one time that the thinner, flexible plastic sheet like grade may be better.

Brenda