Kitchen sink - dishwasher drain?? Mess...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mobtek

I have a two section kitchen sink. Just a few inches from and next to the faucet (on the right side of the sink), is a drain of some sort. Looks like a broken soap dispenser. Under the sink the dishwasher drain first goes up to IT and then Ys back into the drainpipe. When the washer drains, it spills out the drain-thing and onto my counter... leaving a big puddle under the electrical appliances - not cool.

So anyway, what is it? Why do I need it? Can't I just plug the hole and route the dishwasher drain straight into the drainpipe? Sorry I don't have a pic.
1989 Fuqua SW
Yanita

Hi,

What is it...a vent...do you need it...yes.

There is another thread about this if you would like to gain more info, or do a Google search.

Happy Holidays

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Archie

This would be an air gap. It is a device that keeps the dishwasher drain line from siphoning or back flowing into the dishwasher when it drains. It may or may not be required by code depending on your location, but it is recommended by most dishwasher manufacturer's.

These are fairly cheap to buy at most home stores so you may want to just replace it. Otherwise you can unscrew the silver cap of the unit off by holding the air gap under the cabinet and having a friend use a pair of channel locks to loosen the cap. Once the cap is off you can inspect the hole to make sure it is free of any blockage, aimed at the sink and not turned towards the side, and check to see if it is cracked. While cap is off run dishwasher to see where water is coming from. Replacing is straight forward, just ask for a dishwasher air gap at home store and follow package instructions.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
mobtek

THANKS
1989 Fuqua SW
Yanita

Thanks Archie,

The term air gap alluded me at the time of posting.

Happy Holidays,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!