Snow load

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Furball

Can someone please explain snow load to me? This is a 1993 Fleetwood Broadmore 14x66.

There is probably about six inches of snow on the roof but we're expecting much more including one day of wet snow. I'm in an MH park and have not seen any neighbors shoveling their roofs. I am incapable of shoveling the roof. I have a roof rake but would not be able to reach the roof with that, either.

My next-door neighbor spent the day raking his roof last week after hearing 1" of rain would be added to the 6" of snow already sitting on everyone's roofs. Man, he really KILLED himself getting that snow off. The next morning, between the rain and higher temperatures, the snow was gone from EVERYONE'S roof. All of that work for nothing. I personally doubt raking the snow off of your roof is necessary unless you are prone to ice dams, have over a foot of snow up there or have a poorly-constructed roof in the first place.
SpongeBob

Greetings,
Snow load as described in our jurisdiction here in New Hampshire is that all Mobile homes and manufactured housing needs to be built to be able to hold 45lbs per square foot of roof. Snow varies greatly in water content depending on the type of storm. One inch of rain is generally said to be equal in weight to one foot of snow. This theory would only make me worry if I had significant snow load already on my roof AND the forcast called for an additional inch of rain. Hope this helped answer your original question.
-Bob
Furball

Thanks. I have no indication that the roof is poorly constructed. I will wait until all my neighbors panic, or I see some obvious reason to rake the roof.
mp183

I have mine in the Adirondacks and the snow is measured in feet.
I spoke to the guy that is renovating the back half of the trailer and he said that he shoveled mine. Did not want to loose a customer. There had to be 18"+ on there.
The roof had been re-done in the past and a new one was put on about two years ago. Once the back part of the trailer is re-done all the outside walls should have 2x4 studs so that should help with the load. I just hope that the metal frame on which the trailer rests can take the load.
Greg

Furb, It is a gamble either way. I go out after any snow over 8" with the roof rake and get the worst of it. It is easier to pull 8" off rather than wait for 24". Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Furball

Thanks, folks.