pilot goes out

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

michaels

I have an older Coleman standing pilot furnace (90-91, Natural Gas). A few weeks ago the pilot/burner assembly was replaced. The furnace has gone out 2 times now while i have been out of the home. The thermocouple was replaced w/ the burner assy. I tested the thermocouple today. 29+/- millivolts DC was my reading. The pilot flame is a soft blue but there is flashes of yellow also. Could this be a primary air issue or is a down draft causing the pilot to go out?
Robert

Hi,

Flame should be blue with at most a slightly yellow tip. It could be a down draft problem.

It could also be a cracked heat exchanger,

As you can see, it can be a minor to major and would need to be thoroughly tested to know for sure which it is.

Could also be a faulty thermocouple or a thermocouple not inline with pilot flame. Pilot flame should cross top 1/2" to 3/4" of thermocouple tip.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
michaels

the tech. that replaced the pilot/burner assy. checked the heat exchanger and it was fine. the flame covers about 1/2 inch of the thermocouple. my exhaust stack does not extend much from the roof. should i add an extension to it if it is a down draft problem. the pilot has stayed lit since friday.
Robert

Hi,

Yes, an extension would likely help:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanChimneys.html

Also, test the thermocouple, do not assume it is ok because it is new.

In 28+ years of this, it is only component I have replaced as many as 3 times on same furnace and have done so more than once.

They can and do sometimes become defective.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
michaels

i got a extension but the box said coleman 4000 series. mine says it is a 7900 series. will that still work. i am having problems putting it on as well. it does not want to slide over crown assy. base. any suggestions.
Robert

Hi,

Did you order it from us ?

Thanks,
Robert
michaels

i got it from a modular home store in our town. and they said this is for coleman and it goes to all coleman. i did get it put on but i had to push and squeeze and it finally slid over but there is a little indentation from squezing it on. i tried to pull the dent and could not. i wrapped foil tape around it to prevent anything from getting in it. do u thinh that will be ok? the extension i got is the same thing i saw on the link you sent me.
Robert

Not much I can help with since it was purchased elsewhere.

You'll need to contact the store where you bought it as they should stand behind the sale and advise on it.

I can tell you that 7900 is Interior Extensions and 7600 is Exterior Extensions.

Robert
michaels

The numbers on my box match the ones on the website link you sent me. The instruction sheet is even the same.
Robert

That link shows 4000 series roof jacks, 7600 series exterior extensions and 7900 series interior extensions.

Those are the correct numbers for those 3 items.

I do not know if you needed interior or exterior, but those are the numbers.

However, if there is a question arising after the purchase, it needs to be addressed to the store where it was purchased.

4000 series = Coleman Roof-Jacks

7600 series = Coleman Exterior roof jack extensions

7900 series = Coleman Interior roof jack extensions.

Robert
michaels

i is a exterior extension. is there a difference between a 4000 & 7600 series?
Robert

4000 = Roof-Jack

7600 = Exterior Extension for use with 4000 Roof-Jacks.

Thanks,
Robert