Added AC

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

DaveWillis

I have a 1990 mobile home that had heat only(electric) model #3500-812.I added a carrier AC compressor and have everything hooked up and charged,except the wireing.That is where my problem is,I don't know how to wire it.
I have had two repairmen try to wire it with no luck.I read on this forum that a blower relay is needed,maybe I need one,but I really need to know how to wire this.I have heat because it came with the home,but I would like to get the AC going,because in upstate SC you sometimes will need it in the winter.I added a four wire thermostat.
Thanks,
Dave
Robert

Hi Dave,

What is your blower housing assembly model number or blower motor model number ?

Need to be sure you have an a/c compatible motor.

Also need to be sure the motor is compatible with the a/c airflow needed.

How many tons is the a/c ?

Did it have a 2wire t-stat before you added a 4 wire t-stat ?

Where are you in Upstate SC, that is where I'm from ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
DaveWillis

Blower motor model #3500-590 Original.
First repairman burned up original motor.
I can't tell how many tons compressor is.
There was a two wire t-stat.
First repairman got ac going but in the winter the heat didn't work.I changed a wire on the relay? and got the heat to work,but when the ac came on the heat coils also would come on so I would have to unplug the coils and then the ac would work fine.
The second repairman came out because the heat quit and in the process of replacing the double stack sequencer he rewired the unit back to the original way.
I should have told you this in the beginning and apologize for not doing so.Hope you can help me.
If I knew someone locally that could do the job,i would gladly have them come out,but after two professionals I don't know.
I now live in Lowndesville,lived in Walhalla from 76 to 92,then Pelzer,oops!,West Pelzer till 2003,now I'll be here till I die.
Robert

Hi,

You're going to have to get an a/c compatible blower motor first, then either an a/c control box or a/c components to operate it.

Wiring it is no problem, I can help ya there.

LOL, I was born and raised in Oconee County.

I lived in Walhalla from Sept. 91 thru Nov. 99 when I moved back to Tenn. where my wife is from.

'91 - '92, your last year there, I lived in Walhalla also and was a Deputy with Oconee County S.O. .

Small world ain't it ?

When I get back to my regular office tomorrow, I'll get ya the blower motor and other items info.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
DaveWillis

When you get the info I'll order the parts.I have been looking for info and help on this for 4 or 5 years,and it looks like I finally found somebody who knows about mobile home heat and cool.I'm sure the boys at M&L in Anderson knows,but they ain't sharing any info.
Thanks,
Dave
Robert

Hi Dave,

I'm still at 2nd home we bought and are working on. We live in a tornado alley and are under the gun with several storms and tornadic activity right now.

So, once it ends and if all is ok, will get over there and retrieve needed info.

I have 28+ years in HVAC, even during my 8 years in Law Enforcement.

Because nobody knows MH's or won't share info or won't work on MH's is why we started this.

Can definately help ya as soon as it's safe to get out from here.

Thanks,
Robert
DaveWillis

Hey Robert,
there is no big hurry on this,I'm just glad to finally be getting some much needed help.I can do the job,I just need the information that you are able and willing to give.
I hope you survive the storms okay,I'll be praying for you.
Thanks again,
Dave
Robert

Hi Dave,

If you're around and can, chime in here.

Thanks,
Robert
DaveWillis

Just got in,I'm chiming in,if it's not too late.
Robert

Give me a sec to remember what I was going to ask,LOL. Can you tell I've had a hectic 2 days ?

Thanks,
Robert
Robert

Do you have a control box with 2 switches on front at furnace ?

One is Fan/Auto switch and other is Heat/Off/Cool switch ?

Do you still have 4 wire t-stat installed and is it wired for all 4 wires ?

Is it digital and/or programmable ?

Do you still have the 2 wire t-stat ?

Thanks,
Robert
DaveWillis

I don't have a control box.I changed the t-stat to 4 wire with cool off heat and auto on for the fan.It is wired for all 4 wires.
Last edited by DaveWillis on Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Have you ran the 4 wires t-stat wiring from t-stat to furnace ?
Robert

At furnace did you connect wiring with wire nuts, a terminal board/strip or what exactly ?

What is the VA (volt amp) rating on your transformer ?

Did you add any parts for a/c at furnace ?

Thanks,
Robert