Tankless/On demand water heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ladyjankh

Hello all and thanks for responding if you do-

I would really like to get this type of water heater installed in my single wide Marshfield 2003. It's not something I can do myself, so I'll have to hire it out if I do it.

My question is can this type be installed? Also, I would need to convert to gas, since my present water heater is electric. Additionally, the water here has a very high rust content. Any comments about hard water and how these function with it? Do I need to also add a filter?

One more question, if this type works in my MH, how do I know the person I hire knows how to install it and is doing it correctly and safely? What are some important questions to ask (beyond, Have you installed these before?)

Thanks,

Kristi in really, really cold MN
Harry

Hi

Around here the various gas companies install gas appliances. Have you given them a try?

We have very hard water also. We installed a large sediment filter and a water softener.

Hope this helps.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Manitoba Bill

I noticed an ad in our Home Hardware flyer for a Spacesaver water htr. On sale for $120-@$30 off . 1500 Watts 10 Litres.

I did a search on this site and then Googled, GSW+Spacesaver.
Depending on how much hot water is needed this may fit someones need. Comes in diff. sizes and plugs into 120V.

Below is the first page so you can click on diff. sites for info.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=gsw ... aver&meta=
[color=red]
I'm not an Expert, just a DIY[/color]
Greg

Hi & welcome. There are some here that have installed the demand type heaters. Personally I have only seen them so I cannot say first hand how they work. The installation part should be the same as any installation, you would need to add a gas or propane supply to run it. Check with your supplier to see what that would involve and they may be able to direct you to a contractor in your area. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ladyjankh

Thanks to all for responding-

After reading how much gas these things use, I might be better off replacing with something else.

Because of the very hard water here and knowing my current 40 g electric tank will be turning 6 this spring, I wanted to explore alternative, money and space saving water heaters and replace mine this summer.

The thought of the tank leaking out as it ages is a huge concern for me.

I'm only one person here. Could someday be two in the future, but that's another story.

Kristi
Harry

Hi Kristi

I change my electric water heaters when they get about 10 years old. Others may opt to wait until they leak.

The only water heater leaks I have seen were slow leaks. When I install a new water heater I set it in a pan to catch any leaks. They sell the pans right next to the water heaters at HD and Lowes type stores.

Good Luck

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
SpongeBob

Hi, most if not all On Demand Hot Water heaters (gas fired) are installed and maintained by your gas provider. I think the reason for this is permit and inspection are required because of intallation and clearance from combustibles requirements. I have friends with them and they have regrets. Personally, I have not used one.

-Bob
Yanita

Hi,

From what I understand they do not use alot of gas as they do not burn a constant pilot.

I also understand that they work better in warmer regions as the water temps are warmer here than say New England or even farther north.

We want one, but as of yet are waiting for approval from our insurance company.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
ladyjankh

Hi-

Did some more searching and Lowe's sell these ( electric, LP and gas models). Only under the smaller unit do they state groundwater temp (60). The larger unit can be used in colder climates. The bosch website (brand that Lowe's sells) answered a lot of my questions.

http://www.cpotanklesswaterheaters.com/

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

I'd like to hear the regrets people have had with them. I will be calling Bosch this week to get more info.

Kristi
Dean2

Yanita n Bob;

Yes there are issues with them but if they are'nt used then the tech wo'nt evolve,kinda like fuel efficient cars and green tech,,if Ya can buy it (research 1st) try it.I'm glad to see folks trying them in all their forms.

I own 2 elec undersink models,one is a 110v the other 220v. The 110 will be installed at kit sink eventually(flow prob at moment,old steel pipes)..The 220v is in use and supplies the bathroom/washer but not like a larger capacity unit would.I wash/rinse work clothes in cold anyway.I have several different shower heads and use the one that gives the best spray at just under 1gal per minute and set the heat by how far I turn the hot tap on! LOL.. I leave the setting on the WH at full especially in winter. My set-up wo'nt spoil anybody with a "killer good" shower but it gets Ya clean/rinsed and saves energy + water.

I still have the old propane WH wich worked fine till I switched over to the tankless and can go back to it if I choose.

I can do the plumbing and elec for the 110v tankless Myself but only did the plumbing for the 220v and had the Electrician do the wiring for it when we upgraded from the old 50a breaker box to the 100a.He did all the hook-ups and I did the pulling/routing of wires underneath wich saved Me a pile-o-cash.

The 220v WH prompted the panel upgrade wich was needed anyway so I do'nt put that cost in with the WH.

We need to test every idea and product and pass on the results honestly to keep things rollin toward efficiency and quality. I think that's best done in a forum like this as word of mouth was in the old days.

I ramble,,,alot. Dean.
Demolition

We had a 120 volt tankless heater at work in the restroom. It worked fine for small sinks just washing your hands. I don't know how it would be for washing dishes.
One safety tip, if you have kids or elderly people in the house, be careful how hot you have it. Over 120 degrees Farenheight is too hot. Probably 95 to 100 degrees would be fine for washing hands.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
76artcraft

Hi everyone,
I was watching some fix-it-show on PBS awhile back (This Old House, maybe)
and they installed a tankless/on demand water heater and they mentioned how they had also put sensors in the bathrooms so when someone walked in it would get the tankless water heater ready so there would be instant hot water (so you wouldn't have to wait for it).
I figured it was an extra luxury item... but it sounded cool.
SpongeBob

Hi, the chief regret of folks up here in new england that have the L.P. on demand water heaters is not because of a defect in the heater itself. It is due to the fact that we are cold about 9 months of the year and our underground water comes thru quite colder than other climates. This results in the water temp not being quite as stated under the laboratory test results by the heater manufacturer. So, depending what zone somebody lives in, the same heater can give quite different results. In a warmer climate it can deliver remarkably well I would think. HTH.
-Bob
Dean2

My smaller units came with a temp rise chart,,it gives the output temp of water from the unit at different flow rates and groundwater temps.I would think a unit that is sized to handle the coldest incoming water and give the desired hot temp should work..The flow/temp charts can be found on the net for some,if not all units. Maybe download the manual for each/any unit of interest. They also have settings for hotter/colder to compensate for the feed temp..Set high in winter and lower in summer..

Dean

Dean