Hot water heater problem

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nikki_0724

I went to wash my hands today at the kitchen sink and I come to find out I have no water coming out. When its turned to cold it works just fine when you turn it to hot nothing.
I checked my showers and bath sinks and I have water and its hot.

Next we went to the hot water tank. Under the house there is a puddle of water and theres icicles on the floor under the tank it self. We were finally able to get into the area the tank is held and the insulation around the bottom of the tank was wet. and theres hot water leaking out of the darin valve??? . ( im assuming its the drain valve)

My dad said the pipe (copper) going up to the kitchen sink could be froze or even froze under the sink and to turn the hot water on low and open the cabinets and maybe it would thaw. I did that and turned a space heater in that direction. Dh went to look at the heater and the water was flowing faster out of the drain valve. so i turned the water off. ( keep in mind there was no water coming from the sink itself) I then turned the hot water on in the bathroom but the water coming out of the drain valve remained slow.

We really cont do anything today b/c to work on the heater your standing outside and were having below zero temps here today.

Does anyone know what might be going on. Were going to replace the valve when we can and may replace the heater itself.

I dont know how old it is but its not the original I know that. I ahve a 1979 torch.

I have to ahve water in my kitchen
Greg

It sounds like a frozen pipe that burst, you will need to get the water to the heater and the heater its self shutoff, then get under it to see what is going on. A word of advice, PEX!!! If you have to do any replacing of the pipes, use pex, it is about damage proof should it freeze. also insulate and seal up the underbelly. Make sure your heat tape is working. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
nikki_0724

The only place theres water coming from if from the drain valve. Would a bust pipe cause this. We have all copper pipes under the house and as far as my husband went the line was just cold but no water leaking. the only water is out of the drain valve... yes the heat tape is working but its only going from the main line to the heater. Are all the pipes supposed to be wrapped?

cant do anything this evening b/c its dark and the weather is just crazy cold.

what else could it be I dont think the line has burst.
RGS

Well it could be your pressure relief valve. If it's a pipe that comes out near the top with a valve on it then comes straight down then it's probably what it is. Sometimes these get gunked up and start to leak. There should be a handle usually silver that you can toggle manually but I would be careful especially if the heater is still on because this water can be very hot. Some pics might help.

You might also have a burst pipe as well, because when you open the kitchen faucet, which allows air into the system the leak goes faster.
wes

a burst pipe may be frozen on either side of the break and not present until thawed.
steve

if the only leak is the drain valve then cap it
(they sell caps for hose bib at hardware)
Kitchen needs to thaw out (probably farthest water source from water heater) leave it on a little and let your heater do the job. If its frozen underneath aheat gun a a creeper and patience will do the trick
good luck!!!
steve
Greg

The supply line needs to be taped & wrapped with insulation. the service lines (to the faucets etc.) SHOULD be above the insulation in the belly and near the heat ducts to keep them warm. Copper works well in a stick built home, it they can be very unforgiving in a Mobile once they freeze. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."