Floor Support

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

chasMB

We are thinking about getting a 150 gallon aquarium (I know I know). We have to 55 gallon setups now. Well at 8.34 LBS a gallon that is over 1250 LBS of just water, Plus the tank, stand, gravel and the rest of the setup. I am figuring close to 2250 LBS sitting on the floor with an area of 72" x 18" Somewhere in the area of 21 LBS a square foot. It will be outside the frame rail and parallel to it in this double wide. There are not any outriggers in the area. The Skirting is cement Block on a footer with mortar to the bottom sill. I am planning on installing a cement slab under the place in this area and setting 2 piers up to the bottom of the floor joist in the area of the tank. I will use a pair of steel "I" beams across the top of the piers to support the floor joist. Oak wedges to level the I-Beams.

What did I miss in this thinking ? I am open to suggestions for improvements.

Thank You
Harry

Hi

Your plan sounds pretty strong down under. You could also:

1. set the aquarium on a piece of 3/4 plywood to beef up the flooring.

2. add some outriggers. Mark sells them. I believe mine are rated for 900 lbs each.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Demolition

In Arkansas the Mobile Home Code requires a set of piers where there is an Exterior Door, a Bay Window or a Fireplace.
Setting up extra piers would not be that hard since you don't have to jack the house up.
PS: watch your head, them I-beams don't give.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town