Duct layout questions

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

justfixit

I have an Intertherm gas furnace model M3RL060A-BW with downflow. I have attached a diagram of how my duct system is layed out. I am confused as it seems it runs in one circle with ductboard connecting the end nearest the furnace and round 12-14 inch crossover connecting the far end(shown by grey oval rectangle box). The grey offshoots are flexduct to registers. I am not 100% certain..but seems slipjoints connect the trunk at the 2 corners nearest the furnace. Can some tell if this is a reasonable layout ? The mfg home is 2 years old. Thanks.

album_showpage.php?pic_id=1061&user_id=2547
Robert

Hi,

I haven't looked at any newer homes and thier duct layouts, but can see as how that could be correct.

How is the airflow from the registers ?

At 2 years old, should be able to get duct layout from home dealer or manufacturer.

Thanks,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
justfixit

Air from registers is getting better....by that I mean I am in the middle of inspecting and resealing the entire ducting. Home purchased out of foreclosure..little old lady that had it built was swindled by everyone involved...anywho...So I am reattaching unaligned adjoining ductboards taping connectors and removing or lowering hidden aluminum dampers that slid into ductboard. So now yes my air from registers is blowing nice on one half the house. Now the half supplied by the 12-14 inch flex crossover is just ok. My plan is this: replace all flexducting to registers with pvc sch35 6 inch pipe and wrap it in 1inch insulation. Then I want to replace the flex crossover with 12 inch pvc sch35 and wrap with the insulation that currently wraps the flex crossover. I feel that with rigid pvc I will reduce drag, have near zero air leaks. Now this is only from the trunk to the registers. Then next year I will replace the ductboard trunk with metal. I appreciate your response earlier.
Robert

How are you going to connect the pvc to the trunkline at all the branches and the cross-over ?

Never have used pvc for that, but pvc is being used alot more in hvac these days.

There is not a set in stone material duct to use, just has to meet all needed conditions of what it is intended for.

Keep us posted and take some pics, could be useful to others.

Sometimes, you have to think outside the box, especially if a home has been worked on by hackers.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?