Coleman EB10B - blower motor

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Half-Life

Hello,

I am trying to help fix my fathers Coleman EB10B furnace. The blower motor quit working. Upon further investigation I found that I could not spin the squirrel cage. Figured the motor was bad and removed the whole blower assembly. Once out I tried again to spin the cage with no luck so I will assume the motor is bad.

My question, is this normal for a three year old motor? My dad had the entire unit put in about 3 years ago. I find it odd that the motor has quit already. Before I order any parts is there anything else I should look at? Thanks.

Phil
Robert

Hi Phil,

Have you inspected to ensure wheel is not touching the assembly frame binding it from turning ?

IF the motor is getting full 240VAC power to it, wheel is not touching anything, bracket for motor/wheel is ok and wheel cannot be turned with assembly installed or out, then I would say motor is bad.

While it is not normal to go bad in 3 years, it does sometimes happen.

Just be sure all mentioned things are checked carefully.

If you need a price quote on motor let me know.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Half-Life

Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply. I verified source voltage to the motor. I pulled the blower assembly out and tried to move the squirrel cage with no luck. Verified there were no points that could be binding the wheel. Next, I loosened the "cinch" nut on the motor shaft and removed the motor. I could not rotate the motor shaft with my hand or a pair of pliers. I'd say the motor is definitely bad. I think the bearings are shot as I cannot smell or see any burnt spots like you would expect if the windings overheated.

I'd appreciate it if you put me on to the right part number so I can get it ordered. I know I need the run capacitor as well and would like to know the reasoning behind always replacing it when a motor is replaced. Don't get me wrong, I know they don't cost much and that it makes sense that why you've got that part of the furnace open you might as well replace it. Just curious. Thanks.

Phil
Robert

Hi Phil,

Blower Motor # 1468-243P/A @ $137.48

Run Capacitor # 1499-4461 @ $7.89

Shipping = $16.50

They can be seen and ordered through PayPal from left side here:

http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ColemanElec.html

As for run cap, most times when a blower motor goes bad, it damages the run cap and shortens its lifespan.

Also, an old run cap can be weakened and not give the needed charge the new motor needs and can damage new motor.

It would be similar to changing your autos oil, but not the filter.

Thanks for inquiring,
Robert
Last edited by Robert on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Half-Life

Robert,
Thanks for your help! I genuinely appreciate it. I just finished ordering the replacement motor and run cap.

Thanks again.
Phil
Robert

Hi Phil,

You're very welcome, thanks for ordering.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert