Help I think I broke my Coleman Evcon

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

RickyRich

Ok, I think I broke my Heater/AC. It is a Coleman Evcon DGAT056BDC, with a Robertshaw HS780 Ignition Control, I think the actual model number of the unit is wore off or gone. The mobile home was built around 1993 I think.

Anyway I have been having the heat and air cut off and on recently and was having some problems with the thermostat. I took the old one off and, yes I know it was stupid, but to test to see if the heat still would work at all I touched the red and the white one, the heat kicked on so I took it off. I went out got a new thermostat hooked it up according to the old one and the instructions, this time with the electric to the unit turned off.

When I got the thermostat hooked up I turned the power back on to the unit and tried it out, the fan itself would come on, and the auto/air would come on, but the heat did nothing. There was a lot of clicking and switching sounds to the unit then nothing worked. After checking the connections at the unit where the thermostat cable comes in I unhooked and hooked the thermostat back up and now nothing would come on still.

It is almost like it blew a fuse or a breaker but everything there is ok. There is one large black and white transformer and two other smaller all black blocks in the control area of the unit, but I am not sure if they are blown or out or what.

Also I do not know if it related but there have been some weird power happenings in my house recently that led me to actually turn off the power to the unit. My computer power supply blew a fuse the other day and the power supply wasn’t even a month old yet. Our phone has started acting odd as well. This may or may not be connected as we live in a area that is ripe with power surges.

I don’t know what I might have done, It has to be something small because I can’t get anything to come on anywhere with 2 different thermostats.

I am grateful for any help you guys could give and sorry this is so long.

Ricky Richards
Last edited by RickyRich on Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
RickyRich

I got this picture of of a post by feltbettor, this is what mine looks like except to the right of the one transformer there are two other black rectangular boxes and alot more wires.

Ricky
Robert

Hi,

Press the red reset button on the upper limit at blower housing.

If still nothing, go to transformer and test to see if you have 24-28VAC from the 24V/Secondary/Load side of transformer.

The two other parts are a blower relay and a booster relay.

Sounds like you have electrical problems from multiple places and that needs the immediate attention of a licensed electrician.

Touching the wires with them powered up may have shorted out low voltage circuit .

Let me know what results are of these tests.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?