Blower problems

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

kurts74ford

I have a 1994 mobile home with the original heater/blower. It is the Coleman Evcon.

The blower will just sit and buzz when the heater is on, but if you turn the thermostat to fan, get the blower moving, it will stay on and run normal when you switch thermostat back to auto. The blower works when the unit is turned to AC also. It is a 4 speed motor with the wires plugged in at HIGH (AC) and LOW (heat). If you turn the blower by hand, it spins, but stops fairly quickly.

How can I determine the whether the motor is bad, and if the capacitor is bad. I travel for work, and need as much help as possible so that the wife doesn't need to call for some one to come repair. I am very mechanically inclined and do the repair myself, just time and a little more info before I go buy the motor if that is what is needed. I don't have alot of electrical info on this unit.

Thanks for any help. :D
Robert

Hi,

What is the furnace model number found on data sticker on front facing of furnace ?

Check at wire leads connection from motor for full voltage in heat/auto position.

Follow wires from motor to connection point, probably a molex connector plug.

Unplug, find Low speed and common wires from motor, match with wires from other side and see if the power is there when needed.

Electric furnace = 240VAC

Gas Furnace = 120VAC

IF you have full power, replace run cap first.

IF full power and new run cap doesn't do it, replace motor.

We sell all needed parts here in our online store.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
kurts74ford

the furnance is a EB12B. I will check those connections like you mentioned. IT draws about 2.5-2.6 amps starting up but drops down to 1.5-1.7 amps while running (heat). By chance do you think that Lowes/HD sells the run cap? I have another here that I can try but it isnt new, not sure whether it is good either.
Robert

Hi,

Not sure if they carry those, doubt it, but not sure as I've never looked or asked there for that.

If you have any HVAC Supply houses, electrical store or any business that sells electrical hvac parts.

It is 7.5mfd - 370V Run Capacitor.

It would have to be replaced with a new motor , so try it and if it doesn't work, then replace motor also IF the motor is getting 240VAC to it.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?