Coleman Combustion Heating System 7956C856 Need Light Pilot

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Greens

Hello I'm new here and I really need advice. If I can avoid a service call it would be great because we just paid the site rent and are about to pay mortgage for this month and we are new mobile homeowners. Our furnace has worked great for the past 3 months even during very cold weather and windy days. Today I heard birds all day and feared one would get stuck in chimney or something but anyway suddenly this evening the pilot light went out. My husband and I have been trying to light it according to the sticker on the furnace and instructions we've found online. Is the pilot deep into the furnace or lower vertically? We've used up the two long matches we had and have given up for the night. I don't know if we are not trying long enough or what. Please advise.
Robert

Check and be sure roof-jack cap is still on. You could also go up and see if roof-jack is clear if there is a possibility of something getting inside.

Shine a bright light into hole to see the pilot burner assembly.

See at back of gas valve where the nipple enters furnace chamber.

That goes to the burner and look at gas valve for the pilot tubing and thermocouple and follow them to the pilot burner.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greens

Thanks for your response. We did get it lit and the reason the flame kept going out was there was a small sparrow inside. We tried a dozen times to light the pilot with no success. Twice it lit but was quickly snuffed out. My husband was about to wave a screwdriver around in there to see if there was a bird inside and suddenly a bird flew out of the small hole and around my home! It was hilarioius. Soon after we opened the front door and the sparrow lived to tell the tale of how he survived being burned up in our furnace! LOL! It tickles me to imagine it flapping its wings quietly snuffing out a dozen long matches. After that the pilot lit with just one more try. Problem averted. Thanks for your input though.
Robert

LOL, yep, that happens sometimes. Now, need to send husband up on roof and put a screen around the roof-jack crown/cap to keep birds out in future.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?