Hump in floor

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

wiwood

Hello All,

I need some direction on what to do first: I have a 1994 16x80 Mobile, there is a noticable hump / Dip in the kitchen floor that runs almost the width of the home, the hump is approx 1-1/2" from the highest point to the lowest. The floor feels solid. I was told that there could be a joice that let loose under the floor? I was going to cut the under belly so I can see what is going on, but I figured I would try to get some input first.

Thaks in Advance!
Yanita

Hi,

Is there a heat/AC duct running parallel with this hump?

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
wiwood

It passes by at one point but it doesn't run parallel
Greg

There is no doubt that you will have to go downstairs and take a look. As long as you are down there take a look also at the frame for streightness. A home that is unlevel can do strange things also. If the joist let loose you may be able to feel it through the belly before you open it up. I would have my doubts about the joist, but you never know untill you look. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
wiwood

another question for you all:

Should I get the home leaveled...I've owned it for 3 years and there is no problems with windows or doors but is this something that I should just do anyhow? The house is on a consrete foundation and everything seems to be fine, but for $200 is it just a good insurance policy?
Yanita

Hi,

If you are meaning your home is on a full concrete slab, then personally I do not see a reason to relevel if you are not experiencing any problems.

Have you been under your home yet to discover what is happening with the joist?

Yanita
Greg

I was throwing the unlevel possibility out as a general possibility, If you are on a concerte slab unless a piller has somehow moved I doubt it is a problem here. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
curlylocks

have you ever over ran the water in the sink? thats how my mother ended up with a hump inher kitchen floor
wiwood

The house is my vacation home - I'm going up there this weekend to dig into the problem...The hump was there when I bought it, so I don't really know what the previous owners did. Thanks for your replies - I'll post back next week with the results.
Yanita

Just another thought, if this home has a dishwasher or an ice maker check to see where the water lines for both of those are... if one or the other has sprung a slight leak it could be pushing water up on that joist, and you will also have water belly damage.

Yanita