Installing Dishwasher

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldguru

I own a 1988 Redman. We recently purchased a Kenmore full size diahwasher. There has never been a dishwasher installed in the home. Is this something that i should try to install myself. I have average to better than average DYI skills.
Thanks!
Vic
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome to the site.

Well since you have better than average DIY skills I see no reason why you should have any trouble with cabinet alterations/removal ...are you familiar with plumbing!

Good luck,

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Harry

Hi

If you're installing a new dishwasher, there are a few things you need to have in order to complete the job. First is an electrical outlet under the sink. Second is a water supply and drain must be close by. Third is the space available for a new dishwasher. You may need to remove some under counter cabinets in order to fit the new dishwasher.

We had to have an electrician install the electrical outlet under the sink.

It took me a whole day to find the special drain you will need. Mark sells the kit. Here's a link: http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/kitchdrainkit.htm

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
oldguru

Thanks very much for the replys. I like the look of the drain kit!! Thanks again!!
Dirty White Boy

Any hardware store will sell the drain kit...the important thing is to get the dishwasher hose that has the anti blow off valve built in. Half of the homes I've done water losses to have been a leak from the dishwasher...
oldguru

All,
Just a quick update,
I took the plunge and did the install myself. It really went pretty well. No major problems just the normal "fun" getting the drain, "P" traps etc figured out.
The dishwasher works great, the cabinets look as if it had always been there and I am now looking at finding a place to install more kitchen cabs.
Thanks again for the advice!!!