Moblile homes and Lightning

Whether it's NASCAR or your family vacation, talk about anything here!

Moderators: Greg, Mark, JD

Kyle

Well, we have a farm in the country that we bought a few years ago from a friend of the family. There is a MH on it, because they house that was there was struck by lightning and burned to the ground. The trailer is on a hill. Last week I noticed that a tree near the trailer was hit my lightning, this got me thinking, with all the lightning around, on a typical metal-roofed, metal sidinged MH, what would happen if it were hit by lightning? :lol: just wondering

& also, a few weeks ago we were up there & we had VERY bad thunderstorms at 1 in the morning :lol: with hail and wind and very bad lightning, the whole shibang, it wasn't exactly "fun" :lol:
Harry

Hi

Each lightning strike is different. The damage can be zero to a complete loss of property and even death.

We have a lot of lightning here. We have insurance. If I know a storm is on the way I unplug some of our electronics, no talking on the phone and sit on the couch.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Greg

Kyle, With that kind of voltage there really is not a lot you can do, just the luck of the draw.
One thing I WOULD do if I were you is invest in a weather alert radio. Any time the weather service issues an alert for your area there are warning tones that go off. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Kyle

Greg wrote:Kyle, With that kind of voltage there really is not a lot you can do, just the luck of the draw.
One thing I WOULD do if I were you is invest in a weather alert radio. Any time the weather service issues an alert for your area there are warning tones that go off. Greg
Well, we have a radio, I was just curious.
Dean2

That's what lightning rods are for,,but,,,don't mount it on the mobile home,,put it on the nearest tallest structure and run a heavy steel wire down to a ground rod that is driven in about 6' deep into the ground,,,the lightning will *usually* take the path of least resistance.

The old Boss and I had to fix a roof with a hole blasted in it by lightning,it then found an elec wire to follow and exited in a closet with metal rod blowing a big hole in the wall there too.